Low BG seizure

Its important for the caregiver to understand how to deliver the glucose mix to us.

The instructions for my “unconscious kit” is given to all who might need to support me and the protocol for low BG events is also shared with those who need to know when to call the ambulance.

Important for me is that they need to know the mixture dissolves, and is absorbed, in the cheek and they can help by gently massaging my cheek not trying to get me to swallow - I cannot choke this way - they do not need to worry about that!

I teach and my class all know what to do - there can be no panic in an additional support school - they grow to learn the importance of looking after each other and the power of planning for all occasions (my challenges are just a minor blip in their lives).

5 Likes

Good idea. I need to organize my supplies a bit more, and train those I live and work with on its usage.

These are awesome things to teach!

1 Like

WOW…SO glad you are okay. I don’t know if it happens to all, but it did happen to me. I was not yet on a pump and cgm and was deep into hypoglycemic unawareness…something I was not familiar with at that point. My one kitteh that always seemed to recognize lows woke me up standing on my chest. The reptilian part of my fogged over brain dragged me out of bed to head for the kitchen. I fell about 5 steps from the bed, just in front of the bedroom door. I started seizing as I tried to get up. I was half sitting up, leaned against a litter box and I could see my body convulsing and while I knew what was happening, there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop it. I was terrified. What if it killed me? My brain was exploding with fearful thoughts as the seizure raged. Then as fast as it started, it stopped. I really can’t say how long it lasted, but I felt like an old steam locomotive had run over me. I crawled to the kitchen so I could cram food in my face. After that I went after my uncooperative insurance company full force. Got my pump and Dexcom approval very shortly after that. I told my sister about it as she is an RN, but never did tell my parents. At their ages, they don’t need to have more to worry about.

7 Likes

Wow, so glad you were able to get to the kitchen! These seizures are scary, but for me, really only after I recover and realize what a close call it was! I am so glad you got on the CGM!

5 Likes

Pre-cgm, I’ve had my fair share, took a week’s worth of good sleep to recover, the lesson I learned is that larger or repeated humalog doses can stay in the system a bit longer than one would think, outdoor exercise is a good way to recover and increase clarity in these scenarios.

6 Likes

Slightly off-topic from a type 2 on MDI. Early on when I started MDI, I accidentally injected Humalog instead of Lantus. This was a massive dose on top of the bolus done a hour earlier.

I didn’t panic. I didn’t have the Dexcom yet so I was finger sticking every 45 minutes or so. I ate banana nut bread before BG fell, and I forget what else. When the Humalog levels dropped My BG began rising. It was 1 o’clock in the morning. I pulled on a jacket and walked for about an hour until things were more normal. I don’t remember if or when I ever injected the Lantus.

I find that exercise works well if BG isn’t super high. I have a thing called a DeskCycle that I can spin on in front of the TV. 30 minutes of fast easy spinning will drop my BG starting around 20 minutes in. It is easier to regulate than a correction bolus,

7 Likes

@CarlosLuis Did we exchange about this type event? Shortly after dx, I was keeping my Lantus and Novolog in the same drawer/kit. Sure enough picked up the Novolog and shot myself with 14 units, vice the intended Lantus! Realized I was holding a blue flexpen, vice gray, immediately; the wife and I spent the next few hours downstairs with me eating pretty much whatever I wanted! Started keeping my pens well separated after that!

5 Likes

I suspect we are not alone in doing that.

4 Likes

When I was on MDI, I used to keep my Humalog as a pen, but since I only used Lantus once a day I kept that in vial form in the refrigerator. I had heard of Type 1’s grabbing the wrong pen so I figured it was safer to keep it that way. But yea, I have heard of lots of people doing that.

5 Likes