Losing job/insurance and the options that follow

Afrezza is a new technology though. It’s marketed as helping people manage post-meal spikes.

What is NPH marketed to do for people that analogs do not do?

2 Likes

When I and many others used it (much more recently than 50 years ago), we had home meters, checked multiple times a day, used NPH 2-3x a day. We did not have CGMs, but CGMs can’t prevent the super annoying peaks from NPH that happen in the middle of the day and night. People know what they are talking about more than you are giving them credit for.

1 Like

Also, @Sam, you didn’t even like Lantus, but Lantus was like this complete revelation compared to NPH.

2 Likes

Lantus was life changing for me… especially combined with Humalog. I consider these the best things invented since I was diagnosed.

2 Likes

I don’t know why everyone seems to be misconstruing what I’m saying.

This conversation started wirh people comparing R and NPH to be an option just slightly better than death. I said that that’s ridiculous because they work and many people are doing just fine on them, as obviously you did because you took them for years and went on to become successful, highly educated, presumably living your life to the fullest. Is it as good as tresiba and afrezza?! No! That’s a silly comparison and not what I’m comparing at all.

Is it “only surviving” as if choosing to die instead if you can’t afford the very latest and greatest would be a reasonable comparison? Obviously not…

1 Like

I also have proliferative diabetic retinopathy. I developed somewhat disordered eating (super common among diabetics of my generation) for a while thanks to the restrictive diet I was on for years. Please don’t have the nerve to tell me how fine I did on them.

I don’t know why everyone is getting all snarky with me.

I keep a fridge full of R and NPH. If I ever lose my job and insurance and become unable to afford latest generation insulins I will use R and NPH. I don’t understand why this is becoming controversial. Sorry to hear about your eyes.

1 Like

Everyone understands fully what you’re saying, Sam. They just disagree.

As you have read here from ACTUAL USERS of R/NPH, there is nothing good about it EXCEPT that is keeps you alive.

Most people who have used it think it’s a horrible option that no one should ever BE FORCED to use. Why not make analog insulins more affordable by all…this wonderful great nation of ours, instead of forcing some to use a product that DOES NOT work for most. Yes, your kin is THE EXCEPTION…not the rule, when it comes to R/NPH insulins.

And as far as “only surviving”…you agreed with this premise in an earlier post you made.

…you only got offended when people started agreeing and detailing what “survival” entails…including eventual severe health conditions due to extended highs, and death.

1 Like

I’m not getting snarky. You’re the one who tried to tell me I did fine on a regimen that you have no experience with and that others who used it are telling you had a lot of problems. If you’re going to make sweeping generalizations about my experience then I’m going to correct you when you are wrong.

2 Likes

You would only use these insulins to survive then. They’re a last resort. Which is exactly how we perceive them.

2 Likes

This is the underlying problem that I, and many others have…why can’t new age insulins just be more affordable? The guy responsible for hiking the prices of insulin 3 times (Alex Azar) is Trumps pick for HHS. Really? This is why prices don’t decrease for the end users. Because of corporate greed.

1 Like

Let’s all look at what we agree on here:

• we all agree that analogs are better

• we all agree that, in the present health insurance conditions in the US, it is better to take R and NPH than nothing

• we all agree that if we take nothing we’ll die

Let’s make sure this thread doesn’t drift too far.

7 Likes

Oh I see… there must be political undertones here that I failed to pick up on.

Yes, first and foremost, we should hope to see latest generation insulins be affordable. I’m optimistic about the litigations surrounding their price gouging currently underway. The reason they’ve been able to price gouge is thre rigged pharmaceutical arrangements with secretly negotiated rebates and pbms… I hope to see that practice end, then people will be much more able to afford latest generation insulins if there is an interruption to their prescription insurance. I hope we can all agree on that.

4 Likes

I think the main issue is, many of us find the idea of R/NPH being a back up option, while certainly better than nothing/death, an incredibly stressful, highly life-disrupting (even if not ending) prospect.

1 Like

Do you think it helps to have someone responsible for price-gouging, overseeing the HHS? Because I don’t. So, this isn’t intended to be anything but truth. I didn’t state it as anything but a truthful observation about the current state of affairs. You’re free to read into anything you like.

As far as your other issues surrounding rigged pharma, that’s also true! But guess where that starts? In DC! Lobbyists and donors. The entire system needs fixed to get rid of the corruption from the bottom up. This isn’t just a statement about the current administration although I think we all know where I stand on that. :wink:

Pretty sure insulin prices weren’t fair a year ago either

Agreed, which is why I added

Guys, political posts will be removed from this thread.

And I’m not going to say, a year ago would put us at 1/27/2017…so I’d agree with you. hehehe.

Wait, did I just say it?

That’s fine, I’m not making any