Levemir split dose peak

It isn’t a permissions issue that I know of, the platform doesn’t really support sharing of files as far as I understand. If you have a cloud storage account, you should be able to post a link to a download I would imagine, but I haven’t tried to do that.

1 Like

Hi Eric, could you please email me that levemir soreadsheet? I love levemir and use it when I am having pump issues.

Thanks!
PegE

2 Likes

@PegE I removed your email address from the public forum, but fear not, I PM’d it to Eric.

3 Likes

Hi @PegE,
I sent it to you. Please read through the notes above on how to use it.

Lemme know if you have any questions!

1 Like

Cheers @Eric , I really appreciate it. From our previous conversation, I had dropped my night time dose to 16 units, and had it at the later time of 22:30. My morning dose had been changed to 30 units and had at 9am.

After playing around with your spreadsheet, I noticed that dosage changes, didn’t seem to change much. I think I’ll experiment with keeping those doses the same, and changing the time of my night dose to 20:30, and see how that goes. I’ve also lost 3kg and am now 72kg, so that makes a slight difference.
Changing the times seems to show that it should be steady overnight, and that I should have lower levels from about 8:30 until roughly 21:00, which I think is quite reasonable.

I had already spoken to my endo at my last appointment about wanting to re-examine my i:c, but we decided not to do it at the time, as I had just had all of my teeth pulled due to periodontal disease, so eating at all was difficult at the time. So, I think that once I do that, I should be able to fine tune the daytime stuff.

3 Likes

@SBee, the spreadsheet is a very rough estimate. It can help you visualize the big things. But fine tuning basal is a tough endeavor. It takes time and trials and many adjustments. And a lot of patience.

And keep in mind, eating less will affect your basal needs. Even though they (endo’s and diabetes educators, etc.) try to distinguish meals and bolus insulin as totally different than basal insulin, ultimately the amount you eat will affect your basal needs too!

4 Likes

@SBee this is a really simple question, but can I ask how you are able to generate the CGM graph that compares your weekly blood sugars? (The one where you mention eating rice at lunch). There’s something about Dexcom Clarity that has been unaccessible to me. I only use it on my phone, which could also be part of the problem? Many thanks if you’re able to point me in the right direction - Jessica

3 Likes

@JessicaD, I downloaded the Clarity app, logged in and then I generate reports. That particular one (with the rice), is the overlay of whichever timeframe you select. I only use my phone with it. I’m not sure if they have a website as well?

2 Likes

Oh my goodness… I never realized THERE IS MORE THAN JUST ONE PAGE…! I was only looking at the first page and thinking that was all that I got! Only just realized that I could scroll down for more information. Phew. Thank you! Jessica

2 Likes

@JessicaD, I had a friend that had done something similar, until I showed her the tabs.

1 Like

Hi Eric
would you mind if I ask to email me the spreadsheet?

Thanks

1 Like

Please send email addresses via private messages.

3 Likes

I tried to send private message but I couldn’t find how to do that. Probably I am not allowed to send message as I signed up recently :thinking:

2 Likes

I PM’d you and Eric, you will pick up the PM privileges shortly if you read/post regularly. I also removed your email from the public facing portion of our community.

Hi @omidace,
I have shared dosing advice with many people here, but that generally comes after having a bit of the diabetes background on the individual.

Adjusting insulin doses is not something I take casually.

In every instance where I have shared dosing suggestions, it has come with an understanding of the person’s diabetes experience and background and their current insulin regimen. And an understanding of where they may be having problems and wanting to make improvements.

I am happy to engage with you in a conversation about it, as many others here would be as well. But blindly giving a spreadsheet that makes dosing recommendations is not something I would be comfortable with.

I am sorry. I hope you understand my caution there.

4 Likes

Hi @Eric ! I hope you’re still on this site. Can you email me the spread sheet as i am about to start splitting my Levemir too.

Thankyou!

Hi. I am new here😬I have been reading your posts about the Levemir spreadsheet and would like to tey it. We are rwally struggling with our 3yo and the Levemir dosing.

1 Like

Hi @gammy,
Welcome to FUD!

I would like to help you. I am unable to upload a spreadsheet here, but I can enter the numbers for you and post a picture and you can see what it looks like.

Can you tell me:

1. The number of times a day when your young one gets the Levemir.
  2. The time of each dose.
  3. How much they are getting in each dose.
  4. How much they weigh? (Levemir duration is based on units per pound or kilogram, so I need to also know their weight.)
  5. The times they eat and times they are either low or high.

Additionally, just a few other pieces of information that would be helpful.

• How long ago was the diagnosis?
  • In what country are you located (because treatment options can vary depending on what country a person lives in).
  • Were any other options discussed? (I like Levemir, but it just depends on the use-case, so it may or may not be the best option.)

Let’s see if we can make some improvements! :+1:

2 Likes

TY for responding! I’ll answer in order:
Just started this new regimen yesterday….

1. 3 times per day
    2/3. 4am-.5; 10am-.5; 3pm-.25
  2. 31 lbs.
  3. Br. 8am-ish. FOTF spike starts 6am-ish (fast 200’s)
    L. 12ish fairly good bg 140-150ish
    D. 5ish runs 120-140ish
    **we are low carb high protein
    **9-10ish pm he starts to drift up and will go anywhere from 160-200 (we tried the .25 closer to bedtime but then he goes low at about 12:30-3am

Diagnosed 10/2022
US
Originally on Lantus but it kept him in hypos couldnt give small enough dose
We use and Humalog Diluted because he requires such small doses and LCHP generally requires split meal bolus.

TY again​:woozy_face::blush:

2 Likes

Hi @gammy
First of all, this is a very general overview. This is not exact, but just the general picture of what the Levemir coverage might look like.

The doses you are giving him are very low for his weight (0.035 units per kilogram for the first two doses, and 0.017 units per kilogram for the thrid dose). That means the Levemir does not last very long. Like probably around 4 hours.

With such a short duration, trying to cover 24 hours with only 3 doses is going to leave gaps. I am betting some of the gaps are covered by the meal boluses.

So let’s take a look at this, and then discuss some ideas on possible changes.

Also, when you say LCHP, can you tell me about how many carbs per day he is getting? I know there is the intention of trying to help with blood sugar by reducing carbs, but if the carb amount is severely limited, there can be serious side-effects, such as reduced growth, lack of energy, etc. The body becomes less glucose tolerant, less able to transport glucose into the cells (reduced GLUT4 expression in skeletal muscle).

@bkh, can you hop on this thread too and take a look? Thanks!

1 Like