Learning to use a tubed pump?

We are ramping up for Loop. Does anyone have resources/suggestions on learning to use a standard Medtronic tethered pump along with infusion sets?

I am going through the manuals right now, wondering if anyone can recommend some good YouTube training videos, not on programming the pump, but on using it with infusion sets: we only have experience with Omnipod.

What model medtronic pump and type of sensors?

1 Like

It is a 522. I am open as to what sets to use.

We have a Dexcom G5 to close the loop.

Try tresiba first would be my only suggestion. If you don’t like it, proceed… I know how to get free samples

Not the point for this, though. This is for closed-loop control.

Have you joined the Looped Facebook group? They’re a great resource.

1 Like

I know I need to. I have been reluctant about this step because of how I feel about FB :slight_smile:

Check out this link for MM infusion sets.

https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/products/infusion-sets
Click the link for which set is right for you.

I use quicksets. Folks that are lean often find the angled silhouettes work best. But I hear the mio are also popular, and some prefer the steel sets.
The length of the cannula is also important, probably the shorter length for your son.

1 Like

This would be good if doing UNtethered pumping (with a tubed pump), where you want to use pump most of the time, but off the pump for portions of time.

1 Like

The LOOP software on the phone is used more than the pump controls. But setting the dosing parameters in the pump (which are used if the LOOP system breaks) is well-described in the manual. Instructions on how to fill a reservoir and prime the pump are there too. The manual is available as a pdf on the medtronic site, at https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/sites/default/files/library/download-library/user-guides/x22_user_guide.pdf

I’m very comfortable with the quickset infusion sets. For me they are easy to insert and operate and they pretty much never fail. I prefer the short cannula (6mm) and although I started on the medium-length tube (32" or so) I now prefer the long tube (43") because I can always wear the pump clipped to my belt on the left side, with an inch or two of tube to reach over and into my waistband, and any extra tube just hangs down inside my left pants leg, unnoticed and out of the way. The long tube conveniently reaches anywhere I put a set. If your son wears shorts he may prefer to have all 3 different tube lengths so he can use the best one for the infusion site; just pull any extra tube sideways along the waistline under the underpants or swimsuit elastic and it’ll stay out of the way.

The manual recommends to fill the reservoir with slightly more than the amount of insulin you predict to use during the 3-day lifetime of the infusion set, and throw away the reservoir and remaining insulin when you change the set. Instead of that, I prefer to fill the reservoir completely full. Change the set every three days or as indicated by your doctor and experience, but you don’t need to change the reservoir at that time. Just disconnect the tube from the old set, put in a new set somewhere else, and reconnect the tube to the new set. Save the tube that came with the new set, and use it with the next reservoir when the current one runs dry. Or you can even refill the used reservoir and reuse it with the old tube if you want to reduce your supply costs a little. But reservoirs are cheap, sets are expensive, so I typically don’t reuse reservoirs.

I don’t know that you need to. I continue to avoid FB because of privacy concerns, and I’m willing to give up the possibility of access to the Looped group to maintain my privacy.

One of the best features of Looping is the way it constantly adjusts basal to try to keep the BG in range despite changing conditions. Rather than go untethered on a fixed basal dose, I’d work out ways to stay on the pump. For instance, with an Aquapac while swimming.

1 Like

The mention of tethered in title is likely due to comparison to omnipod.

All medtronic pumps are TUBED, so using the term UNtethered has meaning, but tethered medtronic is redundant.

I think Sam may have misread original intent, and mentioned Tresiba for a tubed pump option to go UNtethered.

1 Like

@MM2, you are totally right. I changed the title.

I was checking medtronic website, and see another infusion set called Pro set.
Here is a video.

Looks like an improved version of quick-set. I may check it out!!

You can find similar videos for the others, and how to fill reservoir and get started.

1 Like

That’s the one that has holes in the side of the canula as well as the bottom end, on the theory that this will help reduce the chance of occlusions. Unfortunately when they started shipping it there were all kinds of problems in the field, so they took it off the market. I don’t know whether they fixed it and started selling it again.

2 Likes

Michel, You will learn everything you need to about the sets in short order. Basically, if you have unexplained highs, assume the set failed before going crazy. There won’t be an alarm (most likely) so you will pick it up.

Also, purchase a few of these bands, they are invaluable to us. We call them batman belts, but they work really well with the tubed pumps. We make him change the band twice a week and wash them.

We ordered ours from Pump Wear.
https://www.pumpwearinc.com/pumpshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

1 Like

Thanks, seems they are not available.

I don’t understand why Mio 30 have been available for a while, but not in US.

When I started pumping I used the quick-set, but I stopped using it due to issues with bent cannulas and occlusions. Now I’ve been using the Mio for years without much problems.

1 Like

i use the Medronic paradgm sillouette infusion sets and i LOVE them. i’ve used it for years now. i am very skinny and i insert it manually at a 25 degree angle. my cannula is 13mm, and although that might seem long, i have never had a kink, nor has it ever popped out (as i found that some of the shorter cannulas do) but his DMV. i believe that it also comes with an inserter. (and btw, there are shorter cannulas available)

1 Like

I use the 6mm quicksets and have only had a problem with one of them (cannula bent).

I have also used the 9mm and they worked fine although sometimes they were uncomfortable if I’m bending over or such.

2 Likes