Lantus after 28 days

My son is 5 and we are using Lantus pens for him. (Recently diagnosed). We just reached the end of our first 28 days and the Lantus pen has abt 100-120 units left. It seemed like such a waste to dump it, but I’m also not willing to “test it”. (Especially since one mn bcbs has $0 deductibles for formulary insulin.)

I am curious what folks do though- do they make a smaller size pen?

2 Likes

That’s a standard pen size, no smaller ones. But do you mean that it is bad after 28 days? They will be good for much longer in my experience. I’d use it up, and stockpile the new stuff

4 Likes

No, however it’s just “Insulin Glargine”, so there may be a smaller generic pen. (I should add, the generic probably isn’t in the formulary, so will be infinitely more expensive given that you are paying $0.)

Lantus is also available in 10ml vials, you could inject that using a “half unit” insulin syringe and while that requires more care than a pen it gives you half unit accuracy which, on a dose of just 7IU/day, may be worth having.

The 28 days thing is sound marketing; hospitals and doctors have to throw the things away after 28 days, so the manufacturer makes more money. After all the things cost $80 per pen in the US.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t be running any tests on your son. My son has carried Lantus around in a vial and injected himself with Lantus that is over a year past expiration and that has sat at room temperature for most of that time. I would keep using it until you have a stockpile large enough to weather any insurance/prescription snafu’s that will arise. Of course if it gets cloudy I would stop using it and move to the next pen.

6 Likes

As others have said, it’s fine for long after the 28 days!

Since this is new to you, I can understand your apprehension. But over time it will become more comfortable.

There are some rules that make sense to follow, and others that don’t. The 28 day rule is not really one that you have to follow.

1 Like

@Jess, welcome, BTW. You’ve come to a great place! I’ve learned a lot here.

2 Likes

Thanks all!

1 Like

Would you have any qualms at all about using Lantus that expired 2/2018 that’s been in the fridge the whole time? Thinking about giving that a try…

2 Likes

It will work. I have used Lantus that is almost as old as you, @Sam. :joy: It won’t be a problem.

My insulin collection is like a wine cellar. “Oh, here is a beautiful 2007 vial of vintage Humalog. I have enjoyed many fine vials of that same vintage over the years. I think this particular vial will pair nicely with dinner tonight…”

4 Likes

None at all @Sam, as long as it wasn’t cloudy.

2 Likes