LADA Diabetes Misdiagnosed as Type 2

So many interesting questions raised in this thread. It seems like practically everyone on this board who is Type 1 LADA was initially misdiagnosed. It makes me wonder how many more Type 1 LADAs there are out there who are currently diagnosed as type 2, and are therefore being poorly treated.

High blood sugar is very easy to see - it will jump out of a standard panel. But determining the cause and thus the treatment is problematic these days.

eta: based on the definition above, I am also Type 1 LADA, although I had never encountered that term before seeing it on this board. At Joslin clinic, I am just Type 1. I don’t know if they even code me as “late onset.” Just a regular old type 1.

e

4 Likes

This is really interesting. I have wondered if I had been diagnosed somewhere less “cutting edge” than University of Michigan, if I would have been seen as a type 2 at diagnosis? I was 20 years old (and looked, truly, like I was about 14!) and didn’t fit the stereotypical type 2 profile, but 30 years ago the age thing would probably have been a significant driver for diagnosis? They simply tested my blood sugar and said, “you have type 1 diabetes.”

3 Likes

Reading all of this makes me glad I was 6. It made everything super easy for the doctors.
:joy:

6 Likes

How droll, Eric.

2 Likes