Lacy, My T1D Puppet

As a college senior who has long ago fulfilled my GE requirements and have only a handful of major classes left, I have the opportunity to take the fun classes now… this quarter I’ve been taking a class centered around the Muppets and Jim Henson’s other works. For the final project we had the opportunity to build a puppet!

This is Lacy, she’s a T1D and studying to be a certified diabetes educator. She wishes her program spent more time on how diabetes onset occurs in puppets rather than just people. It’s probably not discussed much because it’s very mysterious how puppets can get T1 despite having no immune system and no pancreas :wink:

You might notice I made her a little insulin pump, and she does have one of my unused Medtronic infusion sites sewn onto her stomach :stuck_out_tongue:

24 Likes

That’s really cool! That would be great for newly diagnosed children to see and interact with, if you ever have such an opportunity to volunteer like that!

8 Likes

Yes that was sort of my idea when making this! :smile: Although I must say despite taking a class on it I’m still not a great puppeteer

9 Likes

She doesn’t work out of the DC metro area, does she? She looks really familiar. :grin:

Sorry… I was disrupted. She actually looks just like an old educator of mine whose name was Lucy! :grin: I think she’s great!

6 Likes

I’m super impressed, @glitzabetes!! That’s amazing and quite funny!!

3 Likes

Wow, what a funny coincidence! Thanks :slight_smile:

Aw thank you! :grin:

4 Likes

That is a truly awesome Muppet! You are really talented!

4 Likes

Thank you!

It wasn’t as hard as I would have thought really, I didn’t really even know how to sew at the start of this. Lots of Youtube videos went into her creation haha

2 Likes

This is the most awesome thing I’ve seen in a while! Hopefully she can educate people on how both humans AND puppets get T1D since there is an abundance of ignorance in our country about this disease. :slight_smile:

I love her!

3 Likes

Yes, definitely agreed. Most people could use a little education on this topic!

2 Likes

Much cuter than Jerry the Bear !

3 Likes

That is awesome !!!

2 Likes

I could have also chosen to write a paper or use the professor’s puppets to act out a skit instead. I thought the best choice was pretty clear :grinning: (though I probably would have spent a lot less time on it if I wrote the paper)

2 Likes

The best choice is rarely the easiest choice, but your puppet is awesome. I just worry about the reduced insulin absorption with all of the stuffing. /s

6 Likes

Yes I can’t imagine all the hot glue will help things either :thinking:

3 Likes

@glitzabetes, I became a pilot in college bc I didn’t have to write an essay as a part of that application.

Some of us make puppets. Some of us become pilots. But we all avoid writing papers.

(Oddly enough, I love writing now and that’s a huge part of my job.

6 Likes

Love it @glitzabetes

Those glue guns do cause insulin absorbition issues. Unrealated I was doing first aid on a glue gun burn to a member of my family… OUCH!

3 Likes

The puppet it is truly amazing! I think that you could make YouTube videos! Ask @Nickyghaleb And see what she says! Maybe you guys could team up! Actually, you should ask Liam too, because he had a great video the other day about how to test his blood sugar!

Sounds like the holidays! Plenty of craftiness! Hopefully very few injuries.

6 Likes

So cute!

She reminds me of the doll I received at the hospital when I was diagnosed.

When I learned how to do injections, I would first practice on the doll. For some reason, the doll’s “insulin” was a bright orange solution. Since she was made out of a light colored cloth, she became covered in orange spots :grinning: Apparently this demonstration was helpful because I was doing all my own injections by the time I left the hospital. There were lots of helpful people at the hospital though, so we can’t give her all the credit!

That’s a great idea!

4 Likes

I am unable to give ideas on how to make good youtube videos, but if anyone wants tips on how to make weird ones then :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes