Just got my 630G pump, new to the pump but not pumping

ive been with animas pump since 2010. so im nervous about switching over. i dont have everything yet. im waiting on the CGM part of it so i can get trained on all of it. there is so many books that came with everything its a bit overwhelming. the only thing that wasnt overwhelming was sending my pump to them. so i wanted to hear from everyone that is on that pump their likes, dislikes, good things, bad things, anything you can tell me when i prepare to get trained on it, etc. just about anything really :slight_smile:…thanks!

3 Likes

I’d be interested to know how you like it. It’s one of the pumps I’m considering (along with OmniPod and, hopefully, t:slim). I’ve heard generally horrible things about the 670G, but here in Canada we only have the 630G. I think the low glucose suspend would be incredibly helpful, if it worked well. But I’ve heard their sensors are not as good, and that they can’t be reused like Dexcom sensors can (I use a sensor for about a month each).

1 Like

ahh interesting. i guess i shall see what happens.

1 Like

Congrats on getting a new pump. Such an amazing piece of technology, that of course can also cause anxiety. I think that once you get going, you will see that there are many parallels to your past pump, and hopefully a few new things that excite you.

We use the Tandem X2, so I don’t have anything specific to add, but any new pump should be an exciting day.

2 Likes

when i first started in 2010 i was amazed to see how my levels were. when i was on shots i would be high a lot. with the pump it made my life easier then when the CGM came out i was even more amazed. now that i am switching to a new pump im sure ill get use to it but at the same time im nervous. ive been with one company ever since 2010. i just hope that everything will go smoothly during the transition

I am happy for you. I would love to hear your thoughts about it when you start and read some posts from you about it.

If you have specific questions, I am sure all the smarties here on FUD can find answers for you, so please don’t be shy about asking.

i get up and running on the 30th of next month. its the only day my diabetes nurse educator had available for a 90 min appt. at least i have my meter with the date and time, etc. now i just need my pump to be up and running for that.

1 Like

So you are not able to use new pump until after training, but they required you to already return your old one ?

In preparation, you may want to search for YouTube videos for the 630G.
Do you know which infusion sets you will be using ?
The 630G CGMS is the enlite sensor with Guardian link transmitter. You can find videos for that too.

Good luck.

2 Likes

the old one gets sent after training. i will be using the equivalent of the contact detach on the animas one. i cant remember what its called. i think its called the sure T? im waiting to hear back from the person at medtronic on the cgm part. since i dont see my diabetic nurse educator until the end of july it will give plenty of time for the CGM part to get approved, etc. so i almost have everything i need :slight_smile:

Do you have the 630G yet?

Can you use it a little bit to get used to it before training, and so that you can go through the menus and things to see if you have specific questions to ask at training?

Or is that crazy talk? :grinning:

i have it. and set up the meter already. i need to sync the meter with the pump which i guess i can do now so that is set. i could play around with it and write down questions i may have. it may make the 1.5 hours go smoothly. im sure ill have more questions once i get there. the one thing im wondering if i set up the time and date would i have to do it again once i take the battery out like you have to do with the animas pump. i hope not as that is one step i can complete. i think after lunch i can play around with it.

Here is a suggestion that is actually a pretty safe way for you to do it and learn.

Fill the pump reservoir with water and just have the infusion part not stuck into you, just in your pocket.

Take it with you wherever you go, and anything you do for a meal on your Animas, do the same on your 670G. Just do the same actions for everything on both pumps. And you will get good experience without any risk, and you can write all your questions down.

2 Likes

That is a good suggestion right there. I would never have thought of that.

1 Like

i have set up the pump so far as time, date, language, syncing it to my meter. so i may do the suggestion. found out that medicare doesnt cover the CGM portion of the pump. thats a bummer. i was looking forward to having just one unit. i guess ill have to stick with the dexcom. so upgrade mine from the G4 to the G5 or 6. messaged my diabetes nurse educator on what was going on with that. im hoping that medicare will change and reaize that there are only two companies or three to deal with. instead of covering only three. the buttons are a bit hard to press but im sure over time they will get more used. its nice to be able to see the screen. i guess ill go through the menus and see what they mean and come up with questions based on that

2 Likes

When I first started pump, in 1996, it was routine to start using saline in pump for first 3 days. But I went straight for the real deal. (Regular at that time). I wanted to get off NPH as quick as possible.

2 Likes

Yes, the 670G is a mixed bag, but I was just about to upload my pic from last night with a finer-tuned suspend setting (@Thomas) . I slept. It was really nice. :two_hearts:

1 Like

ive gotten use to the pump…easy to use…i like how it gives you your sugar level is high, make sure you do this and that. i like how it gives you step by step on refilling as well :)…and how you can get the info on how much insulin you have and its warning and it tells you to refill as well :slight_smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I often hear from people in my group how much they miss their Dexcom… and many of them have either returned or are trying to return to it. I run a 670G group on Facebook (yes, I know, and my head is hung in shame), but there are some 630 users in there…you are more than welcome to join us (if Facebook isn’t it way beneath you, that is, as it is for everyone else around here… but I won’t call them out by name, @eric and @chris and others).

And I just realized this was an old post… so how’s it going then? :grin:

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better, Facebook isn’t beneath me, I just feel like it is the eye of Sauron, and I choose not to participate.

3 Likes

The 5 evil overlords - Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, & Apple

Oh wait, and Medtronic, that’s 6.
:grinning:

3 Likes