Insulin Patch

Have you heard about the one about :Needles Could Soon Be Replaced by…A Patch?

http://blog.thediabetessite.com/cs-diabetes-patch/?utm_source=dbs-dbsaware&utm_medium=social-fb&utm_term=04102017&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=cs-diabetes-patch&origin=fb_dbs_0.833333333333333_social_diabetes-awareness-spotlight-leticia-moreinos-schwartz_dbsaware_link

What do you all think?

It’s an interesting idea. Obviously, not many would be interested in an approach that only lasts 10 hours to replace how they currently manage diabetes. However, people with difficult hypo issues at night could be helped by such a solution in it’s current vision.

Since it is still in the proof of concept stage, time will tell if it is a viable idea and moves on to clinical trials. It would be really interesting if they could somehow protect the beta cells from the body while sensing and delivering insulin, perhaps allowing something like this to last for a reasonable length of time.

It may also be an option for those with site sensitivity or occlusion issues I would think?

It depends on a lot of things. Lasting 10 hours is no problem if it is easy to deploy. But if it is a huge pain to put on and off, then the 10 hour limit is more troubling.

I wonder where the beta cells come from. And how the alpha cells are woken back up once the beta cells are deployed.

I’d be much more interested in this than the current ideas of AP integrated with a pump and interstitial CGM.

1 Like