Insulin Lipohypertrophy

T1 for 60+ years, and using insulin pump since 1980. I have been using the tummy as the injection area. Each infusion set is injected in rotated sites. After this many years, most of the landscape seems not to be absorbing insulin. Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, what actions have you taken?

4 Likes

First, congrats on managing diabetes for more than 60 years, quite an accomplishment! Reading about others having this problem caused us to rotate sites like fiends to avoid the problem in the first place. We have been putting infusion sets in many places other than the tummy, the love handles, the upper butt, arms, thighs, just about any place that you can pinch up the skin. So, if you haven’t already tried, you may want to put the infusion sites elsewhere.

3 Likes

First off, GREAT TOPIC!!

have you tried using your hip or buttocks areas yet? I have found a similar problem with my infusion sites as yourself. One of the things I started doing was changing out my sites every other day instead of the recommended every 3rd day.** It seems to have eliminated scar tissue and allowed my sites to heal, thus absorption issue resolved. YDMV, but its worth a try. (btw, I am on the Medtronic Paradym Pump since 2000.)

4 Likes

Ditto the recommendation to rotate, using whatever parts of your body have adipose tissue and are practical with your pump. For instance, longer tubing allows you to use the backs of your upper arms. Forty years is a long time to use one place!

By the way, what pump did you have in 1980? I started using the AutoSyringe 6-C that year.

3 Likes

Originally part of research project and was placed on the “brick”. It was used to inject chemo.

2 Likes

I have used my back, hips, boobs, sides, and arms. Unfortunately, the folks who used to place infusion set in back have left this earth and in my current residential area no one will tackle this chore. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

4 Likes