Ingenuity saves a life

This was an interesting story! Reminds me of some of the hacks folks here at FuD engage in.

5 Likes

Very cool story. Knowing many engineers myself, there aren’t many stories where the engineer is one of the hero’s. It gives every engineering hope!

2 Likes

he thanked me a lot and told me to come visit him in Amsterdam where he owns his own restaurant and brewery and where I supposedly would receive as much free food and beer as I want when I come!”

Well that was a good ending.

I was surprised that neither the person or doctor had a backup syringe. Like Eric’s post, I ALWAYS have one tucked in my meter case… just in case.

2 Likes

Not to mention someone on that plane probably had a syringe for something, it just isn’t that uncommon I think.

I have a back-up 30u syringe in my meter case too. Just check it and yes it has been used before :laughing:

What I find odd is that when I travel I keep my meter and back-up insulin and pens with me in my carry-on. I know that it has been proven that frozen insulin can still work, but I would not chance it.

With that said, back when I was doing R/NPH MDI I was travelling in Scandinavia about 20 years ago and went on an overnight trip from my home base where my major supply stash was. When I arrived at the destination I realized all I had was a pen of NPH… which made it memorable as I needed to time the NPH peak from a shot at lunchtime for the beer that I would consume at dinner and evening. Ahh… i hope the folks who have kids nearing college age are not reading this…

Really, NPH came/comes in a pen ?
I used animal NPH,REG With syringes, until 1996ish, and then started pump with animal Regular. I think human regular was a couple years later, then Humalog, Novolog dance with PBM, in pump since then. Maybe 5 syringe injections in the past 22 years, compared to 0 for pen for any kind!

Yes NPH came in a penfill. I just was cleaning out some old tax forms and found an NPH penfill pharmacy receipt from around 2000.

I started using pens for Humulin R and Humulin NPH around 1996. I found it fit my lifestyle at the time much better than carrying around syringes. I was also doing MDI at the time.

1 Like