Increasing basal needs and rising BG range... Asking for a friend

Use to be until I brought it down to a 2. Not to many corrections now for meal.

Got ya.

Ashley, could I ask how long you’ve been using the particular type of insulin you’re using now? The reason I ask is because every 20 years or so my body lets me know that the current type of insulin isn’t going to work and I’ve had to change the insulin’s that I use. I’ve never found a reason why, but I’ve talked to my endo’s over the years, and if it only happens to me every 20 years or so they think it’s not to bad of an issue.

I know this could sound scary, but if you can maintain control over your D and adjust to the changes (and it sounds like you doing a great job of following the changes), discuss this with your endo and see what they think.

To give you the history, I used the old beef/pork sourced NPH and Regular insulin for the first 12 years or diabetes. When that stopped working my endo switched me to Humulin N and R, and that lasted for 18years. The next switch is the current insulin, and that is Levemir and Novolog which I’ been using for 16 years and suspect that I’m getting close to having to change again.

The knee swelling that you mentioned could also be a sign of infection, so get that checked out as soon as you can.

2 Likes