If I had known what I now know about parenting…

I’m unsure if the category is the most appropriate. I thought that this thread may be used for sharing general parenting experience. I can start:

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first one 27 years ago. I was devastated by the diagnosis. After I got over the initial shock, I followed the doctor’s advice and then after the birth of my daughter, the endo promptly sent me away with no follow up advice. 8 years later, I had changed my “diet” and lifetstyle somewhat and did not need to use insulin for baby #2. Two healthy babies. Subsequent to the diagnosis of diabetes, we, as a family, consume far less carbs, soda, sugary foods as compared to the “normal” Americans. We tend to eat “real” foods. When it comes to desserts and treats, we are more likely to have bakery bought cannoli’s instead of packaged mass produced sweets like Ring Dings. I even encourage my kids to have freshly made rainbow cookies, and eclairs from our favorite local bakery. Call me a bad parent. LOL.

Thus far, the two kids do not exhibit any signs of diabetes or pre diabetes. Although, my daughter, who is the older one may be pre diabetic because her a1c was higher than 5.5. Both are active and were varsity athletes in high school and college. I have not yet been able to convince them to let me test their fasting BG.

3 Likes

I hear you…

It’s frustrating to me how highly charged the subject of diets are when it comes to diabetes. I also try to eat a healthy balanced diet and implement the same with my family… it is extraordinarily difficult. It would be the worst thing imaginable in my world of my son ever became diabetic… sure all sorts of people will get hot and bothered and say diet has nothing to do with it, but it’s one of the only things we actually should have control over in life-- yet it’s frustrating and startling how little control over it we actually have in our culture…

2 Likes

Funny side note-- I ate dinner with @lh378 's son and a friend last year… I brought ice cream for desert. They dished it up themselves and handed it out. I remember thinking “wth is this?” when they handed me my bowl and they sat down with theirs too each with little tiny miniature portions in them… then I realized in my mind, “oh yeah, they’re just actually being really considerate because they know I’m a diabetic”

2 Likes

Ha!!! Right before EH was diagnosed, he had gotten to the point where dessert made him feel sick. So one day, I was whipping up a box of Jello Pudding. I asked him if he wanted some, and he came and served himself a prep dish with pudding in it. One of the eight servings in the box. I grabbed the mixing bowl and ate the rest over the course of 15 minutes (I was in my early 20’s, a picky eater since day one, and my parents to this day don’t understand healthful eating.) I happened to see EH at the computer, still eating his 1/8 of a box of pudding, and I snapped at him: What are you doing?!? You’re still eating that??? And he replied: I’m…savoring…things.

We joke about it to this day. And yes, we eat ice cream out of tiny little dishes at our house still. :wink:

3 Likes

I love that!! Yes, we savor our food too!!!

For the most part, my friends and family get that I’m diabetic and that there is the likelihood that my kids may become diabetic at some point in their lives. Many of my friends are being mindful of their diet anyway. The challenge is when there are the “random” get togethers with more distant “friends” and they eat stuff that well…bowls and bowls of “heart healthy” Cheerios or massive quantities of oatmeal. These products are all being promoted as being heart healthy. Are they really? Yikes. I’d rather savor a small dish of full fat ice cream than chow down a bowl of Cheerios. :wink:

2 Likes

What’s ironic is that the bowl full of Cheerios for me would probably require 3 times the bolus insulin than a bowl of full fat ice cream.

1 Like

Exactly! Me too. Years ago, one nutritionist explained to me that the fat in the Haagen Daz ice cream slows down the metabolism of the sugar and lactose in the ice cream, thereby causing less of an immediate spike. I don’t eat any cereal, nor oatmeal. If I have bread/breadlike white products, it’d have to be worthwhile, like a savory flaky croissant or a very good baguette or sourdough bread. I avoid sushi and have sashimi instead. I did try the shirataki noodles, they are ok as substitutes for some recipes.

For my kids, it’s full fat ice cream, yogurt and milk and definitely butter, not margarine. Do you all recall the margarine craze a few decades ago? Margarine was healthier than butter…etc.

There is so much that was considered gospel from decades ago that is being proven 100% wrong-- like eggs, butter, salt and chocolate being deathly killers.

Maybe Woody Allen was right😂

We talked a lot about it here:

1 Like

Eric indulged in a bowl of Cheerios the other day for breakfast, and he spent the rest of the afternoon napping on a friend’s sofa. It sucked.

Sorry I hijacked your kids thread. :wink: Just two early middle aged people here. We often reflect how we could eat crap as kids though, with reckless abandon, and suffer no consequences. :stuck_out_tongue: Those days are behind us! Lol!

2 Likes

That’s debatable…

1 Like

I don’t recall the sugar hangovers anyhow. Now, yes. Ugh.

EH was always better about that sort of thing than I was. :slight_smile:

1 Like