How often/ much to rotate pump sites?

I’ve been reluctant to try certain spots because of the lack of fat. My thighs, for instance, don’t have much, and though there are small areas where I can pinch up, I’m concerned that the cannula would be touching muscle. Maybe I should just take the plunge.

1 Like

:slight_smile: When I started on the pod I was always worried about choosing a bad site and then having it not work. I have gotten over that somewhat and will try new places.

The thigh is a tricky one for me because there is very little fat and the muscle is right there under the skin but there are a couple of locations with just enough to try.

2 Likes

this is exactly why i believe i had such trouble with my dex sensor; i am just too skinny. even being able to pinch just the tiniest amount of skin wasnt good enough. i was always hitting something. once when i tried using my right abdomen (middle) i hit something hard and blood started squirting out all over. i pulled the sensor out immediately, only to find my entire area exploded looking like i had a lemon coming out of my belly. i knew that if i were to go to the ER, they wouldnt have a clue, so i just stayed put and put warm compresses on it.

also, i was never able to get more than 3 days out of each sensor. i was constantly calling dex tech support for replacements. i am certain that they all knew me there :wink: ("omg, its her again :rofl: " )

needless to say, that after a year + , i discontinued the sensor and have been doing cold turkey 20+ finger sticks each day. my last A1c was 5.5% , so it is possible to maintain good control w/out the dexcom :sunny:

1 Like

I have been wanting to try new pod sites to increase my number of spots for rotation. I currently use my thighs, lower back and arms. I was at a conference last week and spoke to the Omnipod rep and he told me that he wears it on his butt all the time and that he loves it. I wanted to give it a try, so when I removed my last pod I stuck the pod on my butt as a test (upper outside quadrant below my waistband). I sat down, tried on my jeans, etc…to make sure that it wouldn’t bother me. It felt ok so I decided to insert my pod there. Well I am on day 2 and I absolutely love it. I think that I feel it less there than any other location. @CatLady If you haven’t tried it yet, do it!

4 Likes

I have to change pumps tonight so maybe I will try this out. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Butt podding is seriously the best!

2 Likes

I am, too. I have one location. Makes it very easy to keep track of, but it’s probably not a good idea. I do also change out my set every 3 days so at least there’s that. I used to fill my reservoir to the max and ride out 5 days but was shamed into being more organized by a Medtronic educator.

I’m going to have to keep that in mind. I think I move half inch. It’s like my fingers… I find something I like and stick with it until intervention.

I know this is probably in my head, but I swear I think the right side of my body is more sensitive than the left side. So I hate doing the right side. I think it has to do with crossing my body and probably causing the insertion to take place at a different angle, but whatever it is, it’s uncomfortable.

i change out my set every 2 days. i get the best absorbtion this way. but, like you, i do favor certain areas on my tummy. there are 3 areas that i find to be the easiest for the uncomfortable insertion: under belly button, either side and: left of belly button and towards the “love handle” area. i like to have the tubing crossing my belly (why? i have no idea) HOWEVER, the left side has suffered for it with the most scar tissue as i favored it for years, especially when i was changing out my set every 3 days.

i am not 100% certain about this, but i believe that my right side is more absorbent than my left side as well. (maybe b/c i never used to use it until about 1 years ago…and i have been pumping for about 18 yrs now )

1 Like

My new favorite. I’ve tried around the belly button area a couple of times but always end up with a viscous pinching that lasts a couple of days. Obviously doing something wrong. As is the story of my life. :roll_eyes:

So if I follow your plan, I’ve got 2 more years until I need to go right. :grin: I’ll mark it on the calendar and quit stressing out about it. :dancer:t2:

what do you mean by “pinching?”

also, i dont know what type of insertion needle do you use? and do you put it in yourself or with one of those incerter devices?

my needle is steel, and i insert manually at an appx 35 degree angle so that i dont hit any nerves or cappilaries. i use to DREAD site changes, but the lower the angle, the easier it has become.

also, i fill my resevoir all the way and only change it when it is empty.

I don’t know. There’s just a pinching. I usually get it if I go to the right side, too… so it must have to do with the angle of insertion. Whatever it is, I’ll feel it for the entire time it’s in, and if something bumps up against it, it can hurt very badly.

For such a little lady, that’s kind of badass. :grin:

And that happens in 2 days? How big is your reservoir? If I filled mine it would last 5 days… unless I was committing carbicide. Then 3.

i fill the entire reservoir at once, and it lasts me about 1 week. my TDD is usually about 20 - 22 units.

my insertion needle is steel, but the canula that stays inside me is plastic…just to be clear. (when i started on the pump, the entire needle was steel and it hurt every day that it was in; and, it was much longer than the one that i use now as well.)

maybe you should switch infusion sets; there are so many for you to try nowadays.

But your reservoir is good for a week? I’m missing something… I have to fill up my reservoir to whatever I will need for 3 days so that I’ll have to change my set. How is your set change in 2 days and your reservoir good for 5? Do you use an omnipod?

I understand. Manual insertion always impresses me. :slightly_smiling_face:

no, i dont use and Omni Pod. i use an MM Paramdgm pump. the reservoir can be changed separately from the pump site infusion. i just unhook the tubing and the part of the reservoir where the insulin goes, and i can refill that whenever i need to. then i just plug the reservoir back into the infusion, and i am ready to go. Make Sense?

1 Like

Perfect sense. Thanks for going slowly with me. :grin:

2 Likes

no problem.

1 Like

Take it from me, it is not a good idea. Lumps and bumps and troughs and hollows can take years to show up, and once you have them, you’ll wish you’d rotated more. I still have some from when I was 10!

2 Likes

I know we are supposed to stay 2 inches away from belly button, but does anyone know the reason WHY?

ALso, if you have a dexcom G6 on your stomach, how far does the omnipod have to be away from the dex or does it matter? Can they be one above the other so long as the adhesives don’t touch for example?

I’m afraid to put it anywhere other than my stomach. I tried the side of my arm once and it fell off in <6 hours. My muscles moved too much.

1 Like

I rotate my dexcom from arms to inner thighs. I use my stomach for minimed pump infusion sites. Occasionally will use back hip area for infusions if needed.

This has been working well the last 10 years since starting dexcom.

1 Like

I suspect the belly button has to do with running into hard tissue that doesn’t have as much blood perfusion therefore making the site sucky. But don’t honestly know.

As far as how far apart, you want the Dexcom well out of the way of the pump because the insulin could affect the pump readings. I would call Dexcom, but would guess a couple of inches would be fine.

2 Likes