How good at carb counting are you?

Embrace the IM. Two seconds of minimal discomfort (if any) replaces several hours of waiting and CGM staring.

3 Likes

I understand this concern. The way I deal with it is I watch the CGM frequently when I’ve taken a random initial bolus. As soon as I see hints of the BG accelerating upwards I add more insulin. I don’t wait for a clear indication that I will go high, I add insulin early and frequently (like every 25 or 30 minutes depending on what the CGM is showing.) With such an aggressive dosing strategy I completely depend on having a supply of quick carbs (glucose) available so that if the BG starts plunging I can catch the fall before it develops into a serious low, but I’m almost always able to avoid developing one of those stubborn highs that would take a series of rage boluses to fix. If I blow it and do go way high, I do use IM insulin to help correct it in a reasonable amount of time. I just use a regular insulin syringe jabbed into my thigh muscle (as deep as it goes) where my fat cover is quite thin. Maybe a long needle would be better, but I haven’t felt the need.

4 Likes

Ditto !!! One of the best things I learned to do once I had CGMS.

Are you both using the pump? If insulin may require 20-30 minute pre bolus, I’m unsure if I understand this strategy. Unless, you know/suspect that your BG is headed higher, but maybe not rapidly, therefore add insulin frequently?

1 Like

God I wish that this would happen to me already. It’s been over 31 years now, and I still am figuring out how much insulin I will need bc my ICRs continue changing (especially due to this pandemic and complete change in exercise/activity levels). I do know how to ballpark carb counting though, and I am pretty adept at it (TG), so at least one bugaboo is out of the way :yum:

3 Likes

Eric, you taught me all about the IM. I embraced it right from the start as I got immediate results and proof of how amazingly and efficiently it works. I use it all the time now for any BG over 130. the insulin is in and out within 2 hours. Immediate gratification.

4 Likes

Yes, I use pump, so frequent mini boluses as I eat more, or see cgm rising. Also use extended bolus and can cancel if bg dropping too fast.

Recent switch to tandem IQ, so now pump does some of that automatically.

3 Likes

Count me a member of the not-so-hot carb counting group.

When am I at my worst? Sitting in a new restaurant … reading the worlds on the menu NEVER translates into a carb count for me.

Stay safe!

John

4 Likes

Me, too. I sometimes resort to Googling “xxx carbs” and it will show something close to what I will be eating. I usually eat the same foods so I know approximate how much insulin is required. But like @MM2, I am on an automated system, Loop, which autoboluses from my pump, OmniPod, when I under estimate and suspends/reduces basal when I over estimate which helps a lot.

But, like @shott, restaurant food is always a variable!! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes