How does a Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor work?

@Thomas, I think that I went through all your corrections:

• I added mentions of the integrated pump-CGM systems in several places and added two specific headings for them

• Whenever you suggested text, I just plugged it in.

• I made minor edits to the combined outcome.

Thanks so much!

Your input related to G6 made me wonder if we should not do a wiki on what people expect the G6 system to be. Do you feel that you might have enough understanding of all of its components to possibly put a short wiki together, and would you be willing? Or I would gladly work together on one :slight_smile:

A few G6 links:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4085732-future-dexcom
https://www.meddeviceonline.com/doc/first-verily-dexcom-product-launch-slated-for-0001
https://diatribe.org/dexcom-g6-sensor-shines-early-accuracy-study
http://www.mobihealthnews.com/content/dexcom-plans-launch-g6-cgm-first-fruits-verily-partnership-2018
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/a-look-at-dexcoms-upcoming-6th-7th-generation-cgm-tech-284530/
(older, probably obsolete info) https://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/diabetes-technology-updates-Fall-2016#2

I second that suggestion, and meant to mention it when I contacted you, but I forgot by the time I figured out how to get in touch.

I do think that it might turn some people away ā€“ and it sounds like something that permanently implanted, and not easily removable. At least from a layperson standpoint, which is what I think this Wiki article is targeted at.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: FUD wikis and mobile access

Great work @Michel! A few minor comments below:

I do not think the transmitter performs any calibration based on meter data - thatā€™s done in the receiver. I suggest deleting ā€œapplies the calibrationā€ Also not sure Iā€™d say ā€œheavy liftingā€ either - not much work done in the transmitter as far as I understand it - just A/D conversion, averaging over 5 minutes, and radio transmission of raw measured data and some indication of noise level and sensor status.

G4 transmitter is actually a bit slimmer that the G5 transmitter. I think youā€™ve got that correctly in an earlier part of the wiki.

I think both of these options are using G4? If so, you may insert ā€œG4ā€ to say ā€œā€¦ part of an integrated system with a Dexcom G4 CGMā€.

Regarding sharing, I think it would be good to include a mention of Nightscout, which is far more powerful that official Dex follow applications. Many parents are relying on Nightscout to view real-time CGM and other data from any smart phone, any browser, all kinds of watches, etc.

IMO, itā€™s a bit of an overstatement to call anything on the clarity site AI.

This sounds a bit misleading. Dexcom Studio is a desktop app, which is now considered pretty much obsolete. Both G4 and G5 users have access to Clarity. An option would be to delete any mention of Studio.

Some other links you may consider adding to the Resources section: battery replacement instructions, your other wiki on calibration, Nightscout.

2 Likes

Dragan, thanks so much for the GREAT feedback!

Are you sure? If the calibration is done in the receiver, it means the receiver is actually sending the info to the transmitter, since you do one calibration for however many receiving devices you use. My understanding was that all the signal processing was done within the transmitter. But I could well be wrong!

Great. Iā€™ll correct asap.

Tandem announced FDA approval for a G5 system in August, but I have not checked if the display is integrated. I think so but not sure?

GREAT IDEA! In fact, Iā€™d love to do a whole wiki on Nightscout. But I tried to set up Nightscout several months ago (after talking to you), failed, and did not get a chance to try again.

You are right, I will strip.

Will do, great ideas!

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I am not really sure. It could be that calibration is on the receiver on the G4 system, and on the transmitter on the G5 system.Will try to confirm one way or another.

(btw, it you are still interested in Nightscout, Iā€™d be happy to help - feel free to ask any questions.)

2 Likes

I am very interested, thanks so much!

The instructions on the Nightscout site are a bit messy indeed. I recommend you look at the instructions on the Loop doc site, which I think are a lot cleaner and easier to follow: https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/nightscout/new_user/. Just follow the instructions from the beginning down to the bullet that starts with ā€œAssuming your previous browser tab is still open for ā€œCreate a new App | Herokuā€, letā€™s go back to that tab. ā€¦ā€ In that last part, they talk about some specifics for Loop users, which you may skip at this time.

1 Like

The Dexcom Receiver is not required when using the Animas Vibe integrated with the G4 or the Tandem t:slim X2 integrated with the G5. Both of these pumps had the integration designed so as to be a complete replacement for the Dexcom Receiver.

The thickness (height) of the G4 transmitter was reduced mid-stream. So two different versions of the G4. The original (or non-slim) and the ā€œslimā€ G4 (also called ā€œlow profileā€).

1 Like

Great, thanks for the confirm!

@Thomas, you are a mine of info, thanks so much!

I cannot find a G5 transmitter battery changing guide that I had bookmarked ā€“ does anyone have a good link for that by any chance?

Not sure it is worth it? If we discuss the G6 before it is released it may confused people who may simply think we are confused and that we really mean the G5 but accidentally said the G6.
:smile:
When Dexcom was (ā€œwasā€ as in ā€œno longerā€) planning on releasing an interim update to the G5, the manual for the G5x was made public.
PH29588 / 9445-01 / G5x Transmitter

However Dexcom then pulled this back (in no small part to the effort they were putting forth with Medicare - they really could not handle another release at this time) and resubmitted as:
PH29588 / 9445-02 / G6 Transmitter
And the G6 manual is not yet public for probably another 3 months.

Some of the G5x functionality and specifications will still be relevant for the G6 but some will change.

1 Like

Perhaps relevant (or not - lol). Dexcom released the 505 algorithm update towards the end of 2014. This increased the accuracy of the Dexcom system. The method to run the 505 algorithm consisted of updating the receiver. The implication clearly being as to the amount of processing being done in the receiver vs transmitter. The G5 continues to run the 505 algorithm. With both the G4 and G5 now running the same 505 algorithm and using the same sensor, this means that both systems (G4/G5) have exactly the same level of accuracy. This is easily confused as the original implementation of the G4 did have lower accuracy but as just discussed, this accuracy was increased with the algorithm update although it is possible some people are still running the G4 with the original non-updated receiver and hence continue to have the lower accuracy.

@Michel - Do you want to add a comment about the G5 backfill technology? This was added mid-stream to the G5 transmitters in late 2016. It consists of the ability to backfill up to 3 hrs of sensor data that was missed due to the SmartPhone or Tandem Pump being out of range. The current (non-touchscreen) Dexcom Receiver does not support this.

When discussing the pumps, do you want to specify that the Animas Vibe connects to the G4 while the Tandem t:slim X2 connects to the G5? (Not possible for either to connect to the other due to G4/G5 signalling differences.)

My thoughts on the G6 would be for the wiki to have G6 in thought but not on paper. Ideally, the entire document holds up and does not need to be altered when the G6 is released. Rather an additional document or another page added for the G6 but not requiring changes as relates to the G4/G5.

Comment about the Apple Watch as it currently works? ie - cgm transmission goes to the Apple Phone and then goes to the Apple Watch. We are using that and finding it very helpful. This is delivered functionality so would seem appropriate to include.

2 Likes

I just read up on it ā€“ you are right. Unless the receiver has a way to flash the transmitter, the calibration for the G4 must be done on the receiver.

On the other hand, if you have several devices connected to a G5, you do one calibration with any device, and it will be shortly reflected on all others. So this makes me believe that on the G5 the calibration is a transmitter task. But I could be wrong on both accounts.

I will remove the mention of calibration as a transmitter task.

Great idea.

Sure.

That sounds good. I am rereading the full thing to see if there are issues ā€“ if you notice any left, let me know and Iā€™ll edit (or you can do it directly, since itā€™s already a wiki).

GREAT idea! So glad you thought of it!

Dragan, I think I have implemented all your changes! Do let me know if I missed something. And feel free to make a direct change, as they are all now wikis.

@Thomas, I think all your changes are in as well.

I am still missing a good reference for a G5 battery change :frowning:

G5 battery change (how-to videos) are not as common.
Reason (I think) being:

1. The physical procedure is the same as the G4 slim.
  2. The delivered Dexcom Receiver / App no longer function afterwards. (ie - must use xdrip or similar)

Elaboration:
G4 (original non-slim). Two batteries (391) sandwiched between two PCBs. You must drill sideways into the transmitter to get the batteries without damaging the electronics.
G4 slim / G5. Two batteries (389) on top of a single PCB. Each battery has a contact on top directing the charge down to the electronics. You drill in from the top directly over each battery and try not to damage the contact.
G5x. One battery (CR1632) on top of a single PCB.
G6. Probably similar to the G5x. (I have only seen the sealed outside - not the internal pic yet)

Anybody thinking of doing this, bear in mind this is a very tricky operation. If you are not already experienced with a dremel then do not try and make this your first DIY project.

The only difference for the G5 vs the G4 (slim) that I saw online was post-op. Here is a comment from somebody who successfully did a G5 replacement:

I did a G5 battery replacement and it is working great. You have to put it in a sensor and leave it there for a while (i used an old one and water/sugar solution) and then it will start to broadcast. I think it ā€œgoes to sleepā€ if it is not inserted in a sensor.
I replaced the batteries in mine and i had no signal. After 20min in water/sugar solution it suddenly appeared on bluetooth scan, paired perfectly and it is now going strong for almost 3 weeks.
However, once i took it out of the sensor it stopped sending anything. Not even a bluetooth scan would find it.
Then i placed it in the sensor again, with water and it started sending again

G4 Original (non-slim)

G5

G5x

3 Likes

Height of the G4/G5 transmitter

G4 original (two pcbs). 8 mm
G4 slim (one pcb). 6 mm
G5. 8 mm
(not including sensor housing nor tabs on transmitter)

Dexcom includes the sensor housing when listing the height which makes sense as this is how far off your skin the entire system would sit. So, Dexcom lists the original G4 with a height of 13mm which would be 8mm for the transmitter and 5mm additional with the sensor housing.

3 Likes

Yes. @Michel thatā€™s why I thought the calibration algorithm was on the receiver. At least, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s on the receiver for the G4 system. The fact that you can calibrate G5 on either the receiver or the iPhone seamlessly implies that the G5 calibration might be performed on the transmitter but there are other possibilities: maybe the receiver and the iPhone app sync independently (?). I also understand that Xdrip+ has its own G5 calibration algorithm, which would imply that calibration is not done on the transmitter. In any case, from a userā€™s perspective, this detail is not very important - the wiki may stay silent about where calibration is performed.

2 Likes