How do you handle 15 g of carbs when starting at a low/normal BG?

I’m not looking for medical advice, and, in fact, I might not do anything any differently than I’m already doing it anyway (which includes wild guesses and living for the moment), but I thought I’d present a scenario and see how the professionals would handle it…

I’m still learning about extended boluses, and, believe it or not, I’ve just started playing with them. Better late than never. I normally do them by hand (a .1 here, a .3 there), but I’ve recently discovered the use of the temp basal and the square wave bolus (Medtronic fancy-talk) to help cover spikes. Now I’d like to ask you all, if any of you care to share, how you’d handle this type of situation. And if an using an extended bolus is NOT part of your plan, I’d love to hear that, too… (@Eric, I know this is getting ahead of my “prediction” level, and I hope it’s still okay).

Let’s say your current BG, confirmed, is a 70. You’ve got little to nothing on board. You have a salad in front of you which is approximately 12-15g of carbs (mostly carrots, etc). This kind of salad CAN cause a rise about 30 or so minutes after eating, and it can be a fairly significant one if you were to undershoot.

So here would be MY questions (but, again, please add whatever you like as even my questions might be lacking):

1. ASSUMING a 1:10, what would you bolus and how?
  2. Would you include an extended bolus?
  3. Would your extended bolus, if you use one, be in the form of a temp basal, square wave, or dual wave (i can try to translate if you use different terms)
  4. What would you expect to see in a blood sugar climb if you’ve gotten it all “right”?

No pressure. Just thought I’d throw one out…

1 Like