Hormone peaks for teen boys

I thought I’d show what my hormone peaks look like. Here are mine from yesterday:

You can see it goes up really fast, like a rocket. As soon as I see it breaking 120 I inject, but it’s impossible to stop. The best I can do is bring it down as quickly as I can. But it’s very difficult to figure out how much insulin you need. Most of them need a lot more insulin than a regular correction factor. But some need a lot less. So they are hard to manage.

For the morning one, now I start an extended bolus at breakfast. I had an extended bolus going yesterday, for instance: 6 units for 1.5 hours. But it did not stop it. It may have lowered its peak though. I get worse peaks too, sometimes up to almost 400.

The other thing about puberty as that my basal changes all the time. I am at 0.8 right now per hour, but last week I was at 1.05 for 4 or 5 days, and before that I was at 0.75 for several days too. That’s without sports, because I have an ear infection again so I still can’t swim. With sports it changes a lot more.

I figure it’s great training for later. When i am on my own, it will be a lot easier and I’ll be totally ready :smiley:

8 Likes

Looks like you’re avoiding lows nicely, though! Awesome work! From what I’ve learned…“being high” isn’t important, as long as it’s a quick high. It’s the lingering high that causes the issues. So, post-prandial spikes should be expected (until you’re older that is.) This looks like Liam’s roller coasters! Are they at least fun coasters???

3 Likes

That’s great that you are so on top of this! My son is 17 and he has been going through the crazy puberty spikes for a few years. We are hoping he will level out soon.

2 Likes

Your and ours look very similar. Keep up the good fight. You are doing a great job.

3 Likes

I was lucky there. I ate lots of carbs. Often I go lower.

Not so much. When I am high I can’t focus, and I am not productive at all. When I am low it’s worse, and also I have to do a lot more D work.

That’s a pain isn’t it? When was he diagnosed?

I am glad we are, in a way. I never know for sure if what I see is what other T1D kids see.

Thank you. I don’t always feel that way. There is a lot of guessing involved. Numbers don’t always work right.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can empathize with this. The highs take longer to correct though, and that sucks.

This never really changes. I’m sure hormone peaks are harder though because the variables you’re feeding into the bolus estimation equation in your head aren’t as well-known.

Looks like you’re doing the best you can! Keep on keeping on! :smile:

3 Likes

Maybe I have to consider myself lucky that in my teen years, I took one injection of lente daily, and likely had BGs in 200+ range 24 hours a day. And without BG testing or CGMS, I had no idea what was going on. I only felt lows, which were very infrequent, and made the doctors happy to be infrequent.

2 Likes

@MM2, this is pretty tough. @Eric told me to always guess my BG when I measure. But I can be way wrong. Sometimes I can be quite high before I feel it.

Often I don’t feel a high until I have been high for a while, unless it’s really high.

2 Likes

Actually, at the time it wasn’t, because we didn’t know what we didn’t know. I know Eric was in same timeframe, but very different experience.

I think kids today, and their parents have a much tougher time !!! But hopefully worth it to eliminate or reduce the many complications that are common for us oldies. So tougher for me now, but easy back then. Hope you enjoy the opposite.

For the most part, I rely on my dexcom to tell me when high, and it just alarmed that I am heading UP. Gotta go exercise!!

4 Likes

@Kaelan He was diagnosed 9 years ago. He has a tough time, especially with homework if he is high. He really struggles to focus. On a positive note though, I have noticed in the last month or so, he seems to have leveled off a bit and not getting so many hormone peaks.

2 Likes

He must be a pro now :smile: it is so much easier to manage BG before puberty peaks start. It’s only later you realize how easy it used to be.

I do too. Everything takes longer. I am sorry he has a hard time.

That would be cool if they stop soon for him.

@mlg, my peaks are much easier when I do a lot of sports. Maybe it would be the same for him too?
When I swim every day, my peaks are mild and I come down quickly. But it must be intense exercise: for me, swimming is best. Although a lot of walking also works, but that’s too much time to spend on a school day. At Christmas we went to Canada, and I was walking many hours per day: my peaks were also very mild then.

2 Likes

@Kaelan That’s great that exercise helps you. It helps him also with the peaks, but then he gets the lows. We are working on trying to find a good balance for him. We went to his endo yesterday and his A1C has gone from over 11 to 9.2 in the past year, so we were definitely happy about that.

4 Likes

Congrats, that A1c is moving in the right direction!

5 Likes