Homemade glucose gel or tablets

Delicious prevention! :doughnut:

That is very admirable. It sounds like you’ve got a young diabetic with a good head on his shoulders. :slight_smile:

I hope he accomplishes this and that he goes on to play at higher levels if that’s what he wants!

1 Like

I have had the lapband surgery so sometimes food gets stuck, so I use sugar soda as an alternative in the US. I’ve been diabetic since age five so I hate regular cola vs the diet I’m addicted to, so a single 2L bottle of the cheapest ($1.25 on sale, $1.80 reg) fruit flavor soda usually tastes the same as original recipe and won’t get stuck but acts as fast. For a low of 50-60 I drink one coffee mug of strawberry or peach Crush, drinking more or eating tabs/doughnuts as needed. This is late but I hope it helps!!

7 Likes

Preach! All hail the church of the mighty donut!! MMMMM!

4 Likes

I am in the U.K. here sometimes you can buy 4 packs of orange or blackcurant dextrose tablets 14 tablets in a pack £2gbp but for the same price you can buy 454g 1lb U.K. glucose powder for £1.99gbp I am thinking of mixing it with some orange juice and putting a teaspoon into a 3cm round mould then letting them dry out in a warm oven then putting them into a 3cm round empty blood rest strip pot but might have to put some jelling agent into it so it does not go back into it’s power state

5 Likes

@De130770 Sounds like something to tryout. Would you need some sort of preservative, too? I’m not a chef, so I wouldn’t know, but orange juice does go bad if not refrigerated.

2 Likes

So funny reading this post and thread.

These days, being at home all the time, I just mix sugar and water and chug it. By far the fasted low treatment and not much effort.

I do still use glucose tablets when out, though.

7 Likes

I do that too. I mix powdered glucose and warm water. Cheap and easy.

2 Likes

Rather than orange juice. I have gone with orange food flavouring and some agar gel

2 Likes

I am just curious to know how “fast” is fast when you want to bring up your BG??? Because for me it takes about 45 minutes to see a change even with Gtabs (ick) any sugared food, or even my Transcend gel shots or OJ or Apple Juice. I wish to God that I could find something that works in 15 minutes, but I have yet to find it.

SOS

DM

3 Likes

For me, the sugar dissolved in water takes about 15 minutes. I haven’t timed it, but I definitely don’t have to wait around for long for it to start having an effect. Do you have gastroparesis? I’ve read that if you have gastroparesis then letting glucose absorb through your cheek might be fastest since the digestive system is delayed.

6 Likes

Yes!!! I have gastropareses. Perhaps that is what has been slowing it down. Never would have thought of that. Thank you. :crazy_face: :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, I totally forgot that that’s why I eat sugar packets the way I do! Just let them dissolve on the tongue… I had gastroparesis for a year after dx, and that’s how I learned to correct a low.

4 Likes

Have you ever tried glucagon? You can get the Gvoke glucagon syringe and micro-dose it. And then save the rest for the next time.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried it, but I have both of them in my D closet ready for emergencies. Since I have never ever tried it, I am not certain how I would micro dose it and what the heck I would do to myself. The Gvoke seems a lot easier bc you dont need to mix anything. The instructions are right on the box and easy to read in a pinch. But I remember you posting a while back about how if you were to use the entire syringe you would go up to 400. That is something I definitely dont want to happen!!!

4 Likes

Do you have the normal syringe, or the auto-injecting syringe?

If you have the auto-injecting one, you can’t micro-dose with it. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

OMG. There are two types of syringes? I never even bothered to look. I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Smarties brand candies are glucose, not sucrose. Other than the binder these deliver 6 g of glucose (dextrose) per roll and each roll costs, oh, about 5 us cents. I have 40 pounds (you read that right) scattered across my homes, offices, cars, and all of those belonging to relatives as well. Saved my life 4x so far from horrid lows and I am guessing other than spoilage these will last 5 years.

4 Likes

I just read this stream and am amazed at all the ideas it generated! I love the thought of chocolate coated donuts, but I don’t want those waxy things, I want the real chocolate covered thing, filled or not, like from a bakery! The jelly beans and skittles I’ve heard of but not tried. Like a couple of you, I carry a glutab tube (generic from Wegmans or Walgreens) and re-fill as needed using the large jars of them purchased online from Walmart (cannot stand the “tropical” flavors, go for raspberry, grape, and orange). I never went for smarties so haven’t gone down that path. When at home, I’ve used orange, mango juice that my wife keeps on hand. Lately, I’ve upped my alert for lows so I can catch/treat earlier if the line doesn’t look like it’s turning up. I’d never heard of GoTubb’s, but they seem too large for my pocket, perhaps aimed at purses? Lastly, was there any success with the “make your own” tabs? Not that I want to do it, just interested if it worked! Anyway, thanks for all the ideas!!

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Belly-Energizing-Assorted-Flavors/dp/B004ETD2E4/ref=sr_1_5_pp?keywords=sports+beans&qid=1706834518&sr=8-5

That’s been one of my gotos lately

1 Like