Hoard photos

Which is NOT good news for the millions of people who were denied coverage prior to Obamacare. No good results will come. But this is for another thread…

They weren’t denied coverage if they got a job, their spouse or parent did, or they had private insurance that they did not let lapse

1 Like

Incorrect. Insurances / Jobs could choose to provide you with coverage, choose to restrict your annual cap, choose to decide whether you live or die. That was fixed with Obamacare…for all it’s other faults (mostly premium and access related which could have been fixed over the last 8 years if the other side wasn’t so set on repealing, instead of improving.
It had the “D” initial on it…so it sucked. It had to have an “R” initial on it…that’s what this whole thing is about imho.)

I was certainly far better insured before it, and at a much lower cost… I voted democrat before it actually but the mess that ensued in my life caused me to switch

1 Like

I believe you. Because obstructionism and threats of repeal 90+ times scared away all the insurers. With fewer insurers, things get more expensive.

The pod battery life is limited. This is one of the few instances where an expiration date has some validity. Make sure you rotate your usage of them, using the oldest first.

1 Like

Yes and of course you’d need basal of some sort if pods weren’t working. I don’t consider any kind of pump to be best option for long term emergencies… even if one loves pumping they should have at least a years worth of basal and bolus and mdi gear stashed… more is better

2 Likes

Update–

1 Like

Mega stash!

Wow, that’s an incredible stash! Mine is really small.

I have 3 boxes that are each 2 deep. If I keep eating like a jackass, I think I could get about 5 years out of these boxes.

If I dropped down to eating like a normal human, probably 10-15 years.

If there is an apocalypse, I don’t think I would be allowed to eat like I do now. Somebody would kill me.

1 Like

Well you did make the silly mistake of telling me both your address and that you had 10-15 years worth of insulin… so yeah I’d be pretty nervous if a SHTF situation ever occurred

I didn’t show you my ammo stash. Bring it on.

2 Likes

Eric, What is the oldest refrigerated and the oldest non-refrigerated (room temp) insulin you tested which was shown to be effective?

Also is there any reason to suspect that old or un-refrigerated insulin could be dangerous or is the only realistic concern that it might not be effective?

@Thomas, there are a lot of threads on the forum about experiments on expired on non-cooled insulin. Many of us have experimented with it. Almost all experiments come out good.

The most remarkable, in my eyes, is a recent one by @Chris where he froze some humalog for a week. Amazingly, it was still good.

Yeah - I read through some but was not sure “how old” was the oldest tested and shown to still be effective.

I think @Eric one took 5 year old insulin that had been unrefrigerated for 7 months.

I have used some even older than than this, but the oldest that I documented
was 3 years and 3 months, and also UNrefrigerated for 2 1/2 months.
https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/my-insulin-experiment-for-michel-relax-everyone/

In college, I would never refrigerate it, so it would stay unrefrigerated for the entire school year which I guess was about 9 months or so (I knew better than to put things in the fridge with roomates and such…).

I think I have some older than this now. I can use it if you want me to. I really don’t think the expiration means anything.

1 Like

So I am also wondering how do you know it is not dangerous to use?

Effective or not - I guess that becomes fairly obvious when looking at the CGM.

But at a certain point is it not possible for organisms to grow (or something like that) which could be hazardous? Or with a sealed vial of insulin do you think that is simply not possible no matter the age?

Well, it’s a sealed closed sterile container. In order for something to grow in there, it would have to get in there.

And second, insulin would not support the growth of anything. There is no nutrient, nothing that could support bacterial growth. Things that go bad, like milk or bread, they can provide nutrients. But insulin does not provide that.

But the proof-of-concept for me is that I am still alive. :wink: