Help with bedtime snack/bolus

@diabeatit2020, just to mention a few general things.

There are a million posts here that can help you. But on the down-side, there are a million things to go through to try and figure it all out. It can really be overwhelming.

But just take some time and browse through the posts and we can point you in the right direction too, and help you find posts that are relevant to your situation.

It takes patience to try and sort through it all, so just take in a little bit at a time to digest it all. Don’t feel like you need to hurry up to figure it all out. :grinning:

One thing to mention - when I was your son’s age, there was no CGM or blood testing. So I had to rely on how I felt to know what my BG was. This has really helped me. Just a few minutes ago, I felt low. So I checked my BG on the meter. My meter said 54, but my Dexcom was saying flat 75. But because I have learned to trust how I can feel from doing it a thousand years, I don’t really need the Dexcom too much.

One thing that can help is for you to help your son assess how he feels when you check his meter or CGM. Like ask him, “How do you feel?” when you check. Help him learn to associate the feelings of high or low BG.

Here are a couple of references to it:

forum.fudiabetes.org/t/can-you-guess-your-bg-before-using-your-meter

forum.fudiabetes.org/t/beat-the-dexcom

Sorry, that is just one of a million things to read here. :grinning:

And also, the other thing is that you may feel like diabetes is 95% of your son’s life right now. Or 80%, or something like that.

Eventually it gets to about 2%.

But everyone here is really about so much more than diabetes. We have hobbies and interests and experts in all kinds of fields. Swimmers and hockey players and ship captains and soccer player and field hockey players and computer programmers and cooks and yoga aficionado’s and pilots and pretty much everything.

So please feel free to share if your son has interests in hobbies or sports, because there are people here that can help make those easier to manage too. And helping him engage in his passions will also make diabetes much smaller.

5 Likes