Help — exercise as part of job

Sry the Extend is not good. I was only looking at the gluten and forget the other allergies.
:frowning:

I checked the UCAN Snack Bar, Coffee Bean.
And it says Gluten Free specifically.

I don’t see it listed any of the allergies you mentioned (but also I did not understand what each ingredient MEANT) The UCAN does specifically state it IS manufactured on “shared equipment”. Sometimes that is an issue and sometimes not depending on the person.

Then when I went back to double check, I pulled up the Chocolate Peanut Butter bar and this specifically lists as allergen:
Milk, Soy, Egg, Peanuts, Tree Nuts (Almonds).
Manufactured in a facility the processes wheat.

So, with the UCANN the different flavors are apparently also different in terms of the allergen. You would need to check each flavor separately (which almost certainly you do) and not assume anything from one flavor to the next.

1 Like

Not sure if all of them are, but the chocolate peanut butter ones are definitely gluten free. And those taste pretty good.

@Eric - Are there any foods which you wold NOT say taste good?

lol

Glucose tabs.

3 Likes

I’ll check out the UCAN bars in more detail. The one I looked at (which was only one flavour) didn’t have anything suspicious. I always e-mail a company if I see one of the many ingredients which could be potato (maltodextrin, lactic acid, modified food starch, natural flavours). It’s surprising how often these are potato, although sometimes they’re not. It’s annoying that potato can be hidden in this way and (at least with milk you can tell by looking at a label whether a product contains it). I wish companies had to list all of the actual ingredients in their products. Also, a large number of companies produce other products made from potato on the same equipment an take no measures against cross contamination, so I usually ask about that as well. I’ll send off an e-mail to the UCAN people today and see what they say. If not, I may see if I can find a recipe so that I could make my own bars. This was my solution to being unable to eat Quest bars: I just found a recipe I could make at home and used vegan protein powder instead of whey.

The key ingredient in UCAN that makes the carbs digest so slowly is a specially modified corn starch I think. I don’t know the process, but it might be tough to make them in such a way that they are absorbed as slowly.

Here’s an all corn-based GF resistant starch, if you decide to experiment:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/hi-maize-natural-fiber-12-oz

1 Like