Has Dexcom intentionally broken Sensors?

I ask this because, prior to beginning our second sensor session (1st 7 days just ended), we had ZERO interruptions in data…I mean not a single dot missing. But no sooner than we re-calibrated and input the 2 blood drops for the second week, now all of the sudden it’s starting this question mark crap. Do you all think they somehow made the sensors break at the start of week 2, or begin having problems that will force people into pulling out a new sensor?

1 Like

I think they have been trying to lower the cost of producing their sensors. I believe there is some evidence that they have made submission’s to the FDA in support of this theory i.e. manufacturing changes, but I don’t have those handy.

My opinion: I think this behavior is just a byproduct of their manufacturing changes designed to ensure they are profitable.

2 Likes

But to have it happen in such a sharp ‘cut-off’ manner is just an extreme coincidence to me. No problems 1st session AT ALL, and in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd session to have immediate disconnects. Very strange…

I don’t think this is their intention. They have FDA approval for 10 day sensor life; if too many of their sensors fail or are inaccurate before then, they will have to change that approval. And the Abbott has 14-day approval which I know they are chasing, so they do not have incentive to lessen the sensor lifetime at this point.

I know it seems suspect, but to me it is probably coincidental, i.e. all of a sudden my son and a bunch of others started having issues on the restart, every once in a while we would get one to make it though the second week, but we very quickly went from getting 21 days on average, some as long as 30, to being lucky to get any time on the restart, except for a couple of exceptions.

My guess is they found a way to use less enzyme, i.e. they were probably using 3-4x the amount of enzyme they needed, and they figured out a way to deposit it more accurately so they could get closer to the actual amount needed.

When I worked for another company, a competitor figured out a way to deposit a known amount of a steroid in a build process, then convinced the FDA to require everyone to meet their enhanced spec. The result was 2 years of pain while my company had to buy the part from the competitor (that met the spec) until they could design a manufacturing process that met or exceeded the spec. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the med device industry.

1 Like

This is what I’m really thinking happened and was really what I was hitting at.