Happiness is a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee

Nights have been rough lately, with my son going back to school and starting on a pump. He has been experiencing many night lows that I am working hard to fix – the consequence, for me, has been staying up the past 4 weeks until 4-5am every night.

The night before last was particularly bad, and I was still up at 5:30am. Last night I felt so tired that I asked my wife to take on the night for me, and turned in before midnight.

This morning, after waking up, I sat on my porch for a few minutes, savoring a hot mug of coffee, feeling well rested (an impression only, I know). I felt serene and content.

Happiness does not need much :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m sorry for the late nights. :frowning: Not at all the same thing outside of getting sleep, but my son gave us a 5 hour stretch of sleep the past two nights, so I can relate on feeling well-rested!

2 Likes

I know you can’t drink coffee, so sorry!

Can you drink decaf?

1 Like

I hope things get better for you soon my friend. But you are so right…for me, no matter how tired I am, waking up and sipping a cup of coffee on the porch (in the country…I don’t think this experience would be fun in the city), is refreshing for the spirit.

You are so right. Happiness is a place! Rich and poor alike can get there.

I certainly hope you’re able to get everything back in order soon, though, because I know how taxing for the body, mind and soul that having these non-stop lows can be.

My families thoughts are with you. If there’s anything we can do to help lesson the stress, let me know!

2 Likes

Unfortunately not, but I’ve discovered the Crio Bru actually gives me a (mental and physical) energy boost, so I drink that on days my husband is at work and I’m alone with the kiddos (I’m too cheap to drink it every day).

2 Likes

You’ve got to somehow find a path to some balance in all of this… it is not sustainable to stay up all night every night indefinitely…

4 Likes

Hopefully this is just a result from a change in routine/schedule that will work itself out soon. The first day (or first few weeks for a diabetic) can’t be easy since they are a) not staying up as long as they might have been during the summer which throws off everything else…meals, bodies schedule, etc., and b) the body/mind are now being introduced to a whole new number of stressors that didn’t exist during the summer time (tests, exercise, homework, etc., etc.,) It sounds like this would make managing D harder…or…DIFFERENT…and that the “new routine” just needs to be adapted too by @Kaelan’s body. I think once he’s over the initial shock that this new schedule has introduced to his body, things will get easier.

I hope so anyway!

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about the tough nights. You are an inspiration and a wonderfully dedicated parent! Kudos

Musings about drinking coffee on the porch reminded me of our recent trip to the UP (upper peninsula) of Michigan. I’ve not been that relaxed in a very, very long time.

Thought I’d share a few shots of where I enjoyed my morning Joe.

8 Likes

Oh, what a fantastic place for that!

1 Like

Amen to that Michel.

1 Like