Halloween for T1 Toddlers / Kids

Totally not all candy is created equal in terms of causing spikes. We do chocolate trade-off for our kiddo on Halloween-- i buy something like PB cups with dark chocolate or another candy he particularly likes that has some protein and fat in it. Then he can trade off other crud he gets that’s straight up sucrose, and he wants to cause it’s better. Everybody (him and the sibs) gets two pieces at night after dinner (already got insulin on board and other stuff in the stomach) til its gone. Also we always only did ten houses even before diabetes cause I’m a Halloween Grinch and candy gives me the nutritional creeps.

In terms of using it for lows, it’s probably great when they’re little. We found that in middle school, “yummy” low treatments in the bag were too tempting, either he used for snacking when not low or his friends ate them! So only boring dextrose tabs for us, but I only buy the brand he finds un-gross (true plus) 'cause who wants to have a low and have to chew something nasty.

4 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign::100:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

+10,000. This is a perfect description for Doc’s First Rule of Insulin Use: Never Waste A Good Low.
@katiereeder, you are an excellent wordsmith!

4 Likes

When I was a kid trick or treating, (late 1960-70’s), my parents had similar rules. I could have a few, but limited treats, along with my siblings. We all had the same rules when it came to sweets. Desserts, cakes, and cookies were limited, even before my diagnosis.

There was one neighbor lady that always had sugar free candy for me, but in those days it was horrible tasting. She may have also been diabetic, but I never knew. But I thanked her for it and it was thrown away when I got home.

3 Likes

@docslotnick
Doc, there was a guy who was a dentist who lived in my neighborhood when I was a kid. He always gave out tooth brushes and floss. After a couple years, word got out and nobody went to his house anymore.

I hope you aren’t that guy.

Give out some candy, drum up some business. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I agree. And I have to say I’m that jerk of a spouse that can’t handle some stuff I can’t eat in the house :yum:(specifically if EH brought home a pile of almond croissants it might just kill me - eating gluten doesn’t work for me, but I miss certain things). Some things will sit there and go moldy (loaf of bread) other things are tempting beyond belief (French cruller donuts).

But teaching self control is important, and I’ve known a few kids who’ve been given free reign over their candy, and they’ve wound up eating tons and puking that night later, so it’s proof to me that sometimes kids need a helping hand in decision making as far as how much is a good idea.

Sounds like lots of good suggestions here for folks! I love the making it more difficult suggestion from @TiaG! Might have to try that.

And @CarolynA I’m sorry you’re feeling the end of honeymoon coming on at the beginning of the most eating heavy time of the year. It sounds very hard to be looking at that happening. I am sure you’ll find a way through it though! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

What a dork! A dentist should give out the stickiest, gooeyist candy available. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

If he wanted to be the “cool” dentist he could give out toothbrushes and full size candy bars…

1 Like

I just want to know if a business card gets accidentally dropped in the candy bucket…

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

When I was a kid with diabetes and food allergies (in the R and NPH days), I went trick-or-treating but then traded in my candy for money or treats I could eat.

There’s a somewhat new campaign started in the food allergy commuity called the Teal Pumpkin Project where people put out a teal pumpkin and the colour indicates that they have non-food treats available for trick-or-treaters with food allergies or other dietary restrictions. I think it’s a great idea and would encourage people to participate. It doesn’t mean that you can’t also have a regular orange pumpkin and sugary candy available, but gives the option of non-food treats for kids who can’t eat the candy for whatever reason (there are so many childhood medical conditions with dietary restrictiosn these days). I wish something like it had existed when I was a kid.

3 Likes

I LOVE the idea behind the teal pumpkin project. I’ve wanted to do it the last two years, but I always get to Halloween and realize I’ve got nothing bought to give out (candy and non-food things). One year I’ll get my act together in time…

1 Like

A friend’s dad always gave out matchbox cars to trick-or-treaters on Halloween. He’d buy hundreds of them at once, and also gave them out to tired parents in the airport (he traveled for his work a lot). I know that’s cost prohibitive for many, but if you came across something that seemed cool earlier in the year, and tucked it away, it would be worth it. :slight_smile:

Another friend said this year her neighbors fliered everyone in the 'hood, and asked them to participate in a “Halloween parade” - guaranteed 15 children participating. So it became “worth it” to stay home and hand out candy to the kids in the neighborhood. They took RSVPs from folks who wanted to participate and hand out candy. Maybe there could be a teal pumpkin route through town?

3 Likes

There’s a map here of homes participating in the project around the world I live in an apartment, so can’t participate, but if I lived in a house my address would definitely be on that map.

@ClaudnDaye
Wanted to ask, how did Halloween work out for Liam?

He hasn’t gotten used to wearing a costume yet but he is enjoying the candy part of it.

3 Likes

I am late to the parade… A couple of comments:

• Trick or treating involves a lot of energy and you can get really low that way. My son went into a deep low last year and we could not get a hold of him… (he was trick or treating on his own with friends).

• As for us, after the first night, we use all the Halloween treats for lows, nothing else.

3 Likes

YES!

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Teenagers and self discipline with food