Gvoke HypoPen autoinjector now available

Well I’m on board with you 100%.!!!

I think that this is a great option . Especially bc I have had (not often) times of VERY stubborn lows in the 30s that would not rise despite drinking enormous amounts of juice, etc. Would temporarily get my BG up, only to crash again within a half hour or so. and this would continue throughout the night. then, once I stabilized (like after turning off my pump for an hour on ZB), I would spike terribly, as if all the glucose surged all at once into my body. I would then spend my overnight doing countless corrections. not something I want to go through ever. very unpleasant and very frustrating. I do wonder, though, as someone who has NEVER used Glucogon, if a micro dosage would stabilize me without a rebound occurring (the way that it has happened with post juice consumption).

1 Like

The mini-glucagon use is definitely helpful when you get puke-y sick and can’t keep anything down, but need to get your blood sugar up.

1 Like

I’ve never used glucagon in my almost 30 years of T1D, but I’ve also never lost consciousness or had a seizure or anything from a low. I’ve had a few scary moments of being low, dropping fast, and mistakenly not having something to treat handy (once stuck on a subway in that situation), but always managed to hold out until I found sugar. My tendency toward tachycardia means I am hypersensitive to drops in blood sugar, and I regularly pick up on them before they register on my Dexcom at all. So it may be bad, but I don’t actually have glucagon in my house and haven’t for a long time. I probably should, for exactly the stomach virus/needing to take more insulin to lower ketones reason mentioned by others. That said, if there were a pen with easy microdosing available, I’d want to experiment with that, because there are definitely times I’m low and don’t want to eat, but then am forced to consume extra calories my body doesn’t need. I do suspect that using glucagon in that way would require someone to be on a pump though, because you’re going to need to then decrease your basal dose afterward, since you’ve depleted your liver and won’t be releasing as much glucose/requiring as much basal for a bit.

4 Likes

I personally replaced all of my glucagon kits (expired, never used) with baqsimi… I figured if the nasal kit works for heroin addicts, it should work fine for us too, plus its about $25 for the 2 pack…my wife would rather straighten up the house and wait for the paramedics than give an injection, but I’m hoping the baqsimi will change that…haven’t had an issue since xdrip, but I’d rather be prepared

1 Like

For adults, remember to review how to administer with household members.