Got myself a shiny new

…Echo Pen! I’m ridiculously excited about this pen and have to share, lol! Funny story…so I got a notification that something wasn’t covered by insurance - oh, boy. I get to the pharmacy (cough days later…about to run out of syringes, so finally HAD to go), and the thing not covered is the needles. Pharmacist offers the generic ones instead, which are covered. I wonder, “Will these fit the Echo?” So I ask; he says he has no idea. He asks me to check, so I’m there at the counter with the pen box open, pulling needles out of two different boxes, then opening the cartridges as they have to go first, user guide open and both of us trying to figure out how to put this all together…when we finally get it all figured out, the pharmacist says, “Why did your doctor prescribe this instead of the FlexPen?!” :laughing: Had to tell him it was all my idea…troublesome patient/customer, that’s me.

5 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008 Isn’t it amazing the things that PWD’s get excited about :blush:

1 Like

I am so pleased for you! It’s great that you went after them!

They are very good pens. We like them a lot. That’s all we use really. I have TONS of used cartridges waiting to be reused for some future experiment.

Have you considered asking for free samples at your endo’s clinic? I get all my meters and pens free at the clinic.

1 Like

Yes! My daughter (almost 3 yr old) gets excited for me, too. I’d been using a blue ReliOn meter since I started testing my BG, and it was getting kind of whacky, so I just bought another one and chose the red one for a change. It’s been over a month now, and she still will see the red one and gasp, “Mama! A NEW one!” :grin:

2 Likes

I haven’t. I see a DO, not an endo, and she’s usually pretty good about letting me know ways to save money, but I’ll ask her next time I see her! Any ways to save money on supplies would be good.

1 Like

The EchoPen only displays the last dose, but there is a pen coming out soon (recently got FDA approval) that automatically uploads all your dose info to your phone!

Check this thread out. It’s called the InPen:

2 Likes

Cool! I actually don’t find recording my boluses that terrible (maybe because now it’s a habit?), but I think I could get used to a device doing it for me. :wink:

2 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008

I have one as well. Very cool and convenient. Afrezza, Echo pen . . . we are rocking the same gear, what’s next?!?!?!?

2 Likes

I would love to see you write up a product review on the novo pen echo. A lot of people (myself included) don’t really know much about it. What is it? How does it work? Why would anyone benefit from it? What are its pros and cons over the flexpen? Those are all things that are big ???s to me

2 Likes

Matching PJs and a bicycle built for 2.

5 Likes

“Tandem”?

5 Likes

Sam, just a quick response, someone else can give more details.

It just tells you the amount of your last dose, and how long ago it was.

The purpose:
“how much did I take for those fries?”
“how long ago did I dose for my meal?”
“did I remember to take my dinner bolus?”

Things like that. It’s just a memory helper. Maybe you are at dinner and don’t want to log it, but you can wait until you get home and can look at the pen and write it down later.

Limitations - it only shows it until you do your next dose. It only displays your last dose. Once you do another dose, the previous record is gone.

The InPen will be nicer. It will keep track of all your doses and upload it.

Anyway, someone else can give more specifics.

2 Likes

Ha!
@mikep, I’m waiting to be approved for a Dexcom, so hopefully that’s going to be the next thing I add in…
@Sam, I’d love to give a review on it once I start (trying to use up the last of what I have), though I haven’t used the FlexPen (at least, how it’s meant to be used…), so won’t be able to give a comparison.

2 Likes

Also for the tandem bicycle, please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That one may take a while - I don’t even own a bike at all, because I’m so cheap, there never seems to be funds to get bikes…which we need to fix, because there are some great trails and parks around here!

1 Like