Got my Thyroid results

Hello all… I decided to get a lab test done on my thyroid levels before going to my next appointment with the doctor. He didnt prescribed it but I kinda had the feeling I should…

So I just got the results and it seems my TSH is HIGH.
Can anybody help me interpret the results? is this allowed here?
I just want to ease some of the anxiety before the appointment

oh, I also got my glucose test. Im not in ideal range but I think Im getting better at it…

1 Like

People can certainly comment on this site about your Thyroid level. I personally know nothing about this test, and so, other than letting you know that people can comment, I won’t have anything to add. But I do hope you get a great answer shortly.

2 Likes

@Isreal Your TSH is a little high, but your T4 also looks a little low for the high range. Nothing to really worry about, but your doctor may want to put you on 25 to 50 mcg thyroxin.

High TSH just means you are asking your thyroid to produce more T4. A small amount of thyroxin should make the TSH go down, and the T4 to go up.

Or your doctor may just warch these levels. You’re really on the borderline.

5 Likes

Hello, @Israel. I’ve had Hashimoto’s thyroiditis for many years, so I’m fairly familiar with thyroid lab test results, though I’m not a doctor - just offering my opinion.

Your high TSH indicates that your thyroid is actually underfunctioning - producing a lower amount of thyroid hormones (like your T4 hormone in the lower end of normal), which causes your body to produce more TSH to try to stimulate the thyroid to produce more hormones.

Personally, if it was me, I would ask for thyroid antibody testing - there are two antibodies, thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPO) and thyroglobulin antibody (TGAb) - especially if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism. Autoimmune disorders do tend to cluster sometimes, so if you have type 1 diabetes (autoimmune), you are at increased risk of developing other autoimmune disorders. If you are positive for antibodies, you may have Hashimoto’s.

As mentioned above, you might need a small dose of T4 prescribed to help bump up your T4 number (which would hopefully help bring down the TSH). I would ask for this if you are having symptoms, as it may improve your quality of life by easing the symptoms.

3 Likes

@Israel This is a very informative article explaining subclinical hyper and hypothyroidism. You fall within the parameters of the subclinical disease.

A great many people in the population have subclinical thyroid disease. Sometimes it is treated, sometimes not. Your endocrinologist is the best person to make this treatment decision.

5 Likes

@Israel Here is another even clearer explanation of subclinical hypothyroidism.

Bottom line is don’t worry about it. Your TSH and T4 levels should not be causing any overt problems at this time.

1 Like