Glucagon - Poll

Sick and throwing up is a possible reason for Glucagon. Eat a 50 carb meal. Dose for it. Suddenly the Flu hits you like a bus. Throw up all the food. Can’t keep anything down. Now all the insulin is hitting you.

Still conscious but insulin on board and can’t eat.

IMHO this also is a proper situation for the Glucagon.

5 Likes

That is pretty much my thinking @Thomas

I have had a couple of those problems. The one that sticks out was probably 8 years ago. I was on MDI and there was no CGM. I ate a big dinner and then the guests left. I felt low and was something like 55 (3.0). I had a juice box. Still low another juice box… and another… up to probably 4 until I was uncomfortable. Then i got rid of everything I ate and could not keep anything down. I tried putting juice in my mouth and hoping for some absorbtion of the sugar through my cheeks but no luck and I kept dropping.

I remembered glucagon and wished I had some. I sent my wife to a 24hr pharmacy and she picked some up. I took the whole shot and it worked magic. I was already sick so I do not know if it made me sick but I do remember going quite high.

About 2 years ago this exact thing happened again and my wife asked - so why don’t you keep this stuff in the house? And I said it costs like $100. And she said why don’t you try to submit this to your insurance. So I took the pharmacy till recipt sent it off and insurance covered 100%. Now I keep glucagon around so my wife doesn’t need to worry about having to do a glucagon run after dinner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s fascinating. I was just discussing dangerous lows with someone and saying that I figured that’d be an option if you couldn’t get glucose into someone any other way. Luckily, it hasn’t been an issue for us so far. Haven’t used the glucagon before.

1 Like

In this situation I would go to hospital. The words “Type 1 diabetic” and “vomiting” usually get them moving quickly. IV glucose and saline, industrial-strength antiemetics, home in six hours. This was, sadly, routine for me for many years, when I could count on being struck down by norovirus every December. (No more! My mother moved out of town.:laughing:)

I recognize it might not be so easy, or free, in other countries.

There are uses for it when you are sick and throwing up. You might want to reconsider if you are past your out of pocket max. It is another tool in the toolbox, although a rarely used one. The kits last a few years, so you don’t need to renew it very often.

2 Likes

@CarolynA I’m not new to this, and I likewise have reached my OOP maximum. I don’t blame you for not getting a glucagon kit. I have no plans to get one either. Never had one, don’t think I ever will.

I think a glucagon kit is a very important thing to have in the house.

You don’t buy a fire extinguisher because you plan to use it, or want to use it. But you have it just in case.

I can understand @CarolynA’s point about being on her own, because you generally don’t self-administer. But some people have brought up some examples where self-administering is a possible use-case. But particularly for anyone who has someone available to help them out, having one is a great safety net.

And, they don’t really expire when they say. Just get one and keep it. It will work well past the expiration date.

2 Likes

I have the same they prescribed me in the very beginning. It’s been expired for years. I probably should have a new one just in case but I rarely have any significant hypoglycemia so I’m really not that worried about it

i have never used a glucagon injection. but b/c of this post, i went into my “medicine” closet and began tearing it apart in search of that scary red container with the big syringe and vial inside. i thought to myself, my, i should toss this in my bag so that it is always there if/when needed. then i looked at it and it expired in 2012. HA. :wink:

maybe i’ll call my endo and have the prescription refilled.

1 Like

Don’t throw it out! I’ll use it!!! :crazy_face:
:rofl:

2 Likes

if you’re serious, i’ll put it in the mail and ship it your way :wink:

1 Like

You don’t have to do that.

But if it is a choice between throwing it out or giving it to me, I would gladly take it. And probably do some experiment with it.

I have 2 PDMs. I could even fill one pod with insulin and one pod with glucagon, and see how the “glucagon pump” works! That might be fun. I’d gladly try that out! And the Unlimiteds would hear all about it.

5 Likes

just for the sake of hearing (and seeing) your experiment, i would be over the hill sending it to you. expect it shortly.

3 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: The Great Insulin+Glucagon Dual Pump Experiment

Thanks for the link. I printed this out to keep in our supply cabinet. (Both the “poster” on the mini-dose and the full-dose.) In a stressful situation, there is no way I could read the teeny-tiny direction pamphlet that comes with the glucagon kit.

2 Likes