GETTING BACK INTO THE POOL (after 2 years away)

HAVING SOME TROUBLE BREATHING; EXPERIMENT #1:

During the past month i began having some trouble breathing. My chest is tight and breathing is labored. As if i cant get enough air in my lungs. Ive had pneumonia before, and this doesnt feel anything like that. Ive always had very strong lungs. I dont know if this is a left over from CoVid or an adult form of asthma. In fact, i havent a clue as to what it might be.

It was most prominent in the pool today while i was swimming. I just had tightness in my chest and a difficult time catching my breath. I am debating whether or not to go to the ER or wait to see a pulmonologist. It may be a long wait before i get to see a doctor thoughā€¦you know how they are, always totally booked up until next year.

one thing i know is that i dont want to go on steroids. Been there, done that. NOT pleasant, especially when it comes to blood sugars and D management as a whole.

I did have a nice swim though, despite it all. But i was very disappointed with my sugars. I had trouble with my morningā€™s FOTF syndrome, and by the time i got to the pool, my BGs had jumped from 109 to 137, and after my swim, my sugars only came down to 133. I did a modest correction and a bolus for the cortisol spike. It helped, however now, after drinking my refuel shakes, my BGs are climbing. Currently 114, but perhaps thats just from drinking my shakes. who knows. Just a swell thats happening quickly.

I just got back from a vacation, during which my sugars were all over the the place. No rhyme or reason, no patterns, just crazy ups and downs. My endo says that this can be typical during vacations bc your entire schedule of eating and exercise are so different, and your body wont catch up. But it was well worth it as far as the vacation goes. I had a wonderful time with my husband; long walks on the beach, bike ridingā€¦ first vacation since CoVid began. (And we just celebrated our anniversary of 30 years of marriage yesterday.) maybe the walking and the bike riding played a part in my BG control.

anyway, the pool was empty today, and my swim was a delightful gift. i was so relaxed and in that swimmers zone. Medatative, despite the frustration with my numbers. (Iā€™ve REALLY got to let go of my focusing on my numbers. It is NOT condusive to a healthy mindset :crazy_face: )

signing out,

DM

6 Likes

I may be over reacting but shortness of breath and tightness in the chest could be cardiac related. If it was me I would go to the ER.

Better safe than sorry, I hope it is not that.

3 Likes

Thank you Carlos. I ended up going to the emergency room later this afternoon.I had full workup of everything from blood to X-rays . My heart is strong, my lungs are clear, and all is as it should be. However, apparently i have bad allergies and something called GERD (digestive issues) Which can both lead to the breathing difficulty. They gave me some medicine and a nasal spray. I am home now, feeling a wee bit better (i was abloe to walk home , believe it or not!). Hopefully i will see how i feel tomorrow. I could have had a bad reaction to those Canadian fires. The weather in Brooklyn has been at ā€œhazardousā€ levels. Its improving today, but slowly. UGH

5 Likes

Not perfect but a much better diagnosis. Way back in the Stone Age, well 1990 when I was newly diagnosed, I call the clinic that had all my docs. I was having some little chest tingles, slight pains. They had me in the clinic in a New York minute for an ECG.

They never found the cause and it just resolved itself, but because of that I have had about 6 or 7 stress test, one cardiac catherisation and a couple of Echos. I see the cardiologist yearly. I think they like seeing an old diabetic with a healthy heart :heart_eyes::innocent::star_struck:

4 Likes

Yes, that was my thinking. Air quality is at the hazardous level. Ive noticed that my dogs/pups also have been slower outside. Iā€™m glad ER visit showed all was ok and glad you went to be on the safe side.

2 Likes

Trying, I was going to contact you (also bc youā€™ve been on my mind) about the weather youre having upstate. I was assuming it was pretty awful and was also wondering about your new pups. Im glad to hear that all is well. Just please take good care of yourself, and please dont go running if the weather persists. Its not worth it!

PS: how do you go about to a PM here? I cant for the life of me remember.

PPS: Also, how do you highlight someones name whever youre using it?

3 Likes

Use the @ sign. @daisymae or @Trying will let them know you are thinking of them.

There are ways to do PMs too - I think if you click on your icon in the top right of the screen you can get some guidance on that.

3 Likes

Yes, sky was eerily orange due to the fires. I havenā€™t run all week. Today seems to be fine but they say it could return. Iā€™ve been checking air quality index everyday now.

Yes, thanks, @bostrav59, for responding. To do a DM, @daisymae, just tap the personā€™s avatar and select message, or as @bostrav59 says.

2 Likes

@bostrav59 thanks so much. I hope this is working like you said. Greatly appreciated.

@Trying I could barely walk to the pool yesterday, and my breathing was terribly labored during my swim. I ended up in the ER not knowing why i couldnt breath. It was frightening. The doctors told me i just had allergies, but i think its more than that, despite all the blood they took and the X-rays.

4 Likes

Yes, I think at least the poor air quality contributed to breathing difficulties. I was in the city at 120th St and Riverside earlier today for about 3 hours and my throat is now sore.

I hope you are feeling better! Hopefully air quality will continue to improve, too.

3 Likes

DX: PNEUMONIA; EXPERIMENT #1:

Well i now have a reason for my labored breathing and my need for elevated TBs. Besides the pneumonia, I also have a small lump/growth on my upper right lung (which they cannot dx yet but are keeping an eye on over the next 3 months). This is after all my efforts (going to the ER, having lung X-rays, blood workā€¦blah blah blah.) I went to my fathers Pulmonologist, had a CT scan, more bloodwork, and Voila, a genuine diagnosis. Not that i am thrilled about it, but at least i have a reason behind the mysteries.

Doctor put me on Antibiotics ASAP, and i see him again next week to review any improvements. Itā€™s a 10 day course of Doxicyline twice a day. (man these capsules are HUGE! ) He doesnt want me swimming, not that i have been able to this past week (havent swam since last Friday). And its gotten worse over these past 2 weeks. The breathing has become more and more difficultā€¦just walking from the bed to the bathroom last night was challenging and uncomfortable. I huff and i puff and i struggle to get the air into my lungs. Jeez Louise, i have had the past 2 years with challenges above and beyond! Ugh! And bigger UGH!

as usual, I will keep u posted.

signing out,

DM

11 Likes

OMG, @daisymae, this was the last thing I would have thought! I am so sorry. Wow, you have been through the ringer yet again. As usual, I pray the the Doxycycline will work and you begin to feel better by next week. May heart goes out to you, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. xoxo :two_hearts: :pray:

3 Likes

I am so sorry that you are having such trouble with your breathing and that you cannot be in the pool MS mermaid.

Here I was bummed out because my bicycle is in the shop. Your lung issues give me a bit better perspective.

My hope and prayers for you to recover quickly and completely so you can return to being the terror of the water aerobics class as you cause wakes across the lanes :rofl:

3 Likes

Sending warm positive vibes your way @daisymae .

:heart:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, this is miserable. I am sending my best thoughts for fast improvement and hope that you can just rest up and have comfortable, pain-free recuperation for now. Sending you the biggest hugs xoxo

5 Likes

STILL AT HOME WITH PNEUMONIA; EXPERIMENT #1:

sorry i havent been posting. I havent been in the pool in about a month :cry:. Ive been in bed with a high fever and pneumonia. I was originally on Doxicycline, then the doctor switched me over to Augmentin. Neither seemed to help except for my fever breaking. I feel like i have an elephant sitting on my chest. its very difficult to breath. I can barely walk from my bed to the bathroom without getting seriously winded.Now i am on an inhaler. Im also trying to navigate my high BGs. It seems that every moment i am raising my TB% bc its much worse in the evenings than it is during the daytime. 120% during the day and then at around dinner time i need more basal insulin and i have to bump it up to 140% TB.

Just wanted to let yaā€™ll know why ive not been around. If iā€™m not in bed sleeping, Iā€™m having Xrays and MRIs or at the doctors office. A real thrill.

(And a shout out to @TomH for asking about me. Very kind of you Tom. Greatly appreciated.)

I am praying that this inhaler helps. so far its a no-go, but ive only been on it for 1 day and a half so weā€™ll see.

hope you all had a wonderful July 4th!!! (personally, its not one of my favorite holidays, but, well, to each their own.)

signing out,

DM

9 Likes

You have my prayers as well, daisymae. So sorry you are suffering. We miss you as well. :heart: :pray:

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear you are still having a breathing issue. I thought originally it was related to our poor air quality, still ongoing, but pneumonia isnā€™t due to bad air! I hope the inhaler helps. I wonder if you should be on oxygen though, or is that what the inhaler does? Sending hugs, and prayi g you start to feel betteršŸ™

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking of you, DM, and hoping that you have been feeling better. Am so sorry that you are not. This sounds absolutely miserable. I guess the best thing is for you to continue resting, but gosh, I am hoping for a quick turnaround for you and speedy recovery. Am sending you my best thoughts and a gentle hug xoxo

3 Likes

Good to hear from you, @daisymae, though wish it was better news! Good thoughts coming your way for an improved and healthier you!

Donā€™t stress with writing us everyday, but let us know how you fare!!

2 Likes