GETTING BACK INTO THE POOL (after 2 years away)

Transmitters can be bought as cash pay (without insurance), for about $45. Check the goodRX website if interested. RX would be required.

5 Likes

Thank You. Thats REALLY good to know,especially bc i spend so much time in the pool, and even weith the overmatches, they still peal off after a couple of swims.

1 Like

Check the Dexcom website. They have an online form you can fill out for a replacement. You don’t need to speak to anyone.

https://dexcom.custhelp.com/app/webform

2 Likes

@daisymae PS: if your sensor falls off and your transmitter is lost with it, Dexcom should also replace the transmitter. They may give you a bit of a hard time, but if you push with common sense (“you are replacing the sensor THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE FALLEN OFF,” hence the lost transmitter), they should see the light.

3 Likes

Agree, and it should be called in. But getting cash pay transmitter can be reasonable cost, for those that want transmitter asap.

4 Likes

Usually anything i get replaced from Dexcom takes about 3 days, but they have shiped overnight if i push it or ask to speak with a supervisor.

3 Likes

ERIC TAUGHT ME A TRICK, BUT I FORGOT TO UTILIZE IT; EXPERIMENT #1:

Last night i went out for a very elaborate heavy dinner. I double bolused so i could eat what i wanted (birthday meal). It was a very famous Spanish Kosher stake house, but i dont eat red meat, so i ordered the King Salmon with an appetizer of seared cauliflower, broccoli rabe, humus, and delicious bread on the side with a wonderful olive oil and salt rocks. i only bolused for 40gms, did a dual bolus of 50/50% over 2 hours.

My sugars remained stable throughout the entire meal and perfect right through till 2:30am. ( 97, 105, 75, 74,85) At 2:30am, i popped up to 123. I thought nothing of it bc although the meal was heavy, i only counted for 40gms of carbs. So i did a small correction bolus and went back to sleep.

when i woke up this morning, my sugars had spiked to 228!!! OMG. I suddenly remembered the suggestion Eric had given me a couple of years ago: when you eat a high carb meal or a heavy meal, put on an elevated TB from the moment you are going to put your head down on your pillow (I usually go for 120% from 10pm till 4am, and it works like a charm.)

Last night i neglected to do this, despite all that i know from all of the crazy experiments i have tried over the years. I paid for it in spades.

Well, today was a swim day. I wasnt going to let this get in my way of a luxurious and enjoyable swim. So before my early breakfast, i did a correction with my bolus and hoped for the best that my sugars would come down.When i left for the pool, however, they had only come down to 168. UGH (again) What a bummer. So i left the house with a little IOB, thinking that the walk to the pool would help my sugars come down some more…well not much.

I was at 154 when i jumped into the pool. I did have a wonderful swim, but when i got out, my sugars were still high (for me) at 127. So when i got up to the locker room, instead of just bolusing my usual .3u/h I bolused .4u/h.
On my way home, I bolused for my Boost Shakes, and by the time i had gotten upstairs, my sugars had come down to 124.

I felt disappointed that i had forgotten how to use the “Eric Trick.” such a simple thing to remember. what was going on in my head last night? Duh.(I was probably just overwhelmed by the delicious meal i had just eaten.)

But the bottom line is that i had a great swim and enjoyed myself thoroughly. Hopefully this wont happen again, but i have a sneaking suspicion that since i’m only human, it will happen sometime again in the future. Ah well, live, learn, adjust.

hope everyone has a blessed weekend,
siging out,

DM

5 Likes

It’s not that you forgot it, it’s just that you remembered it a little too late… :joy:

No worries though. You were able to go swimming anyway, and that’s the important thing!
:+1:

2 Likes

:crazy_face:

it was such a great meal though! (so well worth the memory loss)…and i didnt even mention the Key Lime Pie for desert. Should have taken pics cause even you would have been surprised by the size of the portions and the entire meal.

4 Likes

By the way…

Happy Birthday!!

AW442803_00

6 Likes

Happy Birthday, DM!! :birthday: :partying_face: :tada: Birthdays are worth a little memory loss, at least on the big day!!

4 Likes

AFTER 4 BAD INFUSION SETS…EXPERIMENT #1:

So i thought that maybe i had a cold or bad allergies or just something impinging my good health bc i was having to use a 130% TB for 4 different pump sites. I mean, if something seems suspicious, “when in doubt, change it out.” So i kept changing out my site with a fresh infusion. But still i had to keep the elevated TB and adjust my ICRs. Weird, especially bc i didnt feel sick and i dont have any Springtime allergies.

Anyway, yesterday, my latest infusion hurt. so i figured might as well change it out as well. nothing to lose bc Medtronic always replaces bad ones. (great customer service, btw) My sugars started coming back down in about 2 hours. I was finally able to turn off the TB.

I also suffer from post menopausal night sweats so sometimes my sleep is terribly disrupted as i have to change my pjs numerous times throughout the night, as well as changing the bedding. how utterly annoying. So i have a bad nights sleep and that always effects me the next day. Perhaps that was the cause of the high BGs (???)

But I plowed forward. Determined to b bk in the water again. And today there was literally NO ONE in the pool. It was empty. what a dream come true! :innocent:.

Very happy with my numbers. started at 104, took 2 Gtabs (8gms), and was 101 when i finished.

but i had glitches from when i woke up this morning till i had no IOB. Correcting here, correcting there, a little of this, a little of that…
woke up and my BG was 60. I took 1 Gtab. within just 10 minutes my sugars spiked up to 146. Holy Moly. I immediately bolused a correction and was a little heavy handed (.6 u/h) and i raised my TB to 110% (this was certainly unnecessary and more than i needed. By 10am my sugars came down to 84, which would have been a good thing, except that they were continuing to drop. So i had 4gms of grapefruit juice (mmmm). This worked perfectly. Yay. Brought my sugars up to 100, and at 11am (no more IOB) i turned off my pump for 15 minutes before leaving the house for the pool (another 15-20 minute walk) Put on my suit, took the Gtabs, and jumped in.marvelous swim.

Strangest thing happeened to me though. despite doing everything i do every time i get out of the pool (I bolus for missed insulin while having been on zero basal), my sugars quickly spiked to 164. I immediately bolused a correction. And i prebolused almost 1 full hour before my sugars were in TR to drink my Boost Shakes. Thankfully they came down to 115 before i drank them. but what a wait and why? This has happened before, and i am certain it will happen again during my lifetime, but it is odd.

DOES ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS SPIKE POST EXERCISE?

Anyhow, all is well now. Im a happy camper. My sugars are now 78. Planning on swimming 4 days in a row this week, so ill be keeping you posted. Hope all the moms had a lovely Mothers Day!!!

signing out,

DM

5 Likes

I sometimes get post-running spikes. Two possible culprits for me are (1) taking too much pre-run fuel, or timing it slightly wrong so that the tail of it catches me after the exercise is done; or (2) working out especially hard so that post-exertion stress hormones kick in. Unfortunately I can’t predict either of these in advance so I wait a few minutes after exercising to see if I’m steady, rising, or dropping before I either eat or bolus.

5 Likes

Yes, i frequently do, too, post run. If I’m not trending low, I will bolus a half unit about a mile before I end my run. This really helps to head off a huge spike. Course, the spike does not always occur, for reasons I’m don’t know, so I have extra carbs available for a potential low, usually grapefruit juice.

3 Likes

Yesterday i spiked to 164 about 20 minutes after my swim, then i plummeted down to 42 AFTER my Refuel shakes. Cant figure it out. Although that was an extreme example. But my Endo actually recommended to me exactly what you do: taking a little micro bolus before i finish. This is much harder to do when youre in the pool in your bathing suit with your pump upstairs in your locker than it is when i was running though. But, always, The minute i get back up to the locker room i bolus for insulin missed while i have been off my pump on zero basal, even if it was only a half hour swim. Maybe i need a little extra insulin???

Thanks to the both of you for chiming in though. Its a comfort to know that i am not alone.Also, Grapefruit Juice is my favorite for fast carbs. I like the Ruby Red.

3 Likes

My favorite, too. I keep some on my nightstand, too, in case of overnight lows.

Yes, you are right, it is difficult bolusing while swimming! I don’t recall you spiking post exercise before. Maybe this is just temporary. If it is consistently spiking then yes, I agree, you probably need to increase your bolus more than the missed basal amount.

2 Likes

You won’t spike after 4 straight days!

3 Likes

WENT LOW TODAY POST SWIM; EXPERIMENT#1:

well after just 2 straight days of swimming i not only did not spike, but i went low. I did exactly the same routine with two exceptions: 1) I swam faster and harder, and 2) I didnt do any zero basal at all but i still bolused post swim for minimal time off pump (1/2 hour) .3u/h . I’m pretty certain that there were a few different variables that contributed to my “low.” No Zero Basal. Only off the pump for a 1/2 hour. Hard swim. Speed walk home like a lunatic (right after bolusing the .3 units), and probably some other things to throw into the melting pot. As usual, Eric hit the nail on the head. He is just consistantly right about these things. Most everything D for certain! :rofl:

So the question for tomorrow is: “What can i do differently to stay somewhat in TR?”

my overnight was weird. I had to do 3 bolus corrections. one at midnight, then another soon after that, then another at 2:30am. When i woke up my BG was 89 and after FOTF, my sugars rose very quickly to 126. When i was done eating my sugars were 155! Holy moly. 4 hours later, they came back down, but only to 123.

stats:

11:30am BG 123 right before swim. took 1 Gtab (4gms glucose)
12pm BG 81 right after swim, bolused .3u/h
12:25pm bolused 3.2 units (1:10 ICR) for 2 Refuel Shakes
1pm BG 62 took 1 Gtab and some watermelon
now just waiting for my sugars to come back into TR.

I plan on swimming an hour later tomorrow so that there are less people in the pool. Today was Water Aerobics Class, so there are only a few lap lanes. The class ends at 12:20, so i am planning on being in the water by 12:30 when the class is over and it is hopefully more opened up. I hope there is no terrible lunchtime crowd!

Will keep you posted.
siging out,

DM

PS: I just retested my BG after an hours wait and they dropped to 53, so i had some Grapefruit Juice. Should do the trick. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Zero basal! And take a few more carbs right before you get in the water.

Also, if I might suggest something different. You are fond of taking the glucose tablets. That’s fine, but they do not last very long. The sugar gets metabolized very quickly.

Perhaps you can look into an additional carb source that will last longer. Something like a granola bar, or a Kind bar, or a Clif bar. You could take that with the g-tab before your swim.

4 Likes

Just curious about your post. I am only swimming for 1/2 hour right now. I havent increased my swim time yet. Also, due to my gastroparesis, the Gtabs take much longer to absorb for me than the typical D.

Today i didnt bother with Zero Basal bc my sugars were so high already (123).

3 Likes