G6 - TIR be damned

Agreed. I don’t calibrate all the time…in fact I would never calibrate if the G5 (and G6) were always accurate. Since they aren’t, whenever he’s out of range by > 20%, I’ve always calibrated. Fortunately he’s neither really high, nor really low, very often so it’s something I still do sparingly.

2 Likes

Whatever works for folks works! I would say, if your strategy isn’t working, then maybe try one of the approaches that works for someone else, but makes sense that it’s not going to be same for everyone, just like the extent to which these systems are accurate has always differed a lot.

6 Likes

Definitely liking the G6 with no sensor code. Will make a full post about it upon completion of this session, but so far the numbers are looking great and I’ve only had to calibrate a few times (double calibration one time). I did get calibration loop twice, but the loops happened only once or twice per time instead of going on 5+ times each calibration. Definitely a massive improvement and much more in line with what we were used too with the G5.

8 Likes

@allison What do you mean by “caused by blood on the sensor”? I know it’s supposed to work on interstitial fluids, but also always figured blood was a possibility as well. My knowledge is obviously lacking. I’ve had two sites definitely have blood involved, one very minor, but visible under the patch, one was a gusher for few seconds, then resolved. I went ahead and used both and they seemed to work fine.

@Eric Thanks for the references. I usually “over” research, but don’t recall ever reading those! I appreciate the education!

2 Likes

When I insert the new sensor and can immediately see blood start to saturate the adhesive, I have a problem. Just happened twice to me the other day! Fortunately Dexcom replaced them.

2 Likes

@TomH My own experience with G6 sensors hitting blood :drop_of_blood: have been positive.

Bleeders are readers, and work great (normally I extend sessions and get close to 20 days from a sensor).

YDMV :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Whew! I’m glad you put the TDMV there! Bleeders are absolutely NOT readers in our case.

2 Likes

There are those that say my blood is like water :rofl:

3 Likes

The few times I have noticed some blood, mine have read just fine. Usually it’s only after I’ve pulled them off I spot a little blood. But I had a Libre once that blood trickled down my arm for a few seconds and it was reading fine. Although I think I pulled that one off because seeing all the caked blood under it and not knowing what was going on was disconcerting.

It’s weird how all this stuff varies on all of us all the time!!!

4 Likes

I know this thread is a bit old. But, when I used the Medtronic Elite sensor, also known as the “harpoon “, Medtronic tech said to try and look at the calibration as more of a confirmation. Don’t try and correct the readings as much as tell it it is reading correctly. They wanted you to pick stable times to calibrate. I found that changed my experience with that system immensely!
Now that I’m on the G6 system, I try and do the same thing if I calibrate at all.
One additional thing might be to take pictures of the multiple times you get those two very different readings so you can show your endocrinologist. Maybe even have a conversation about how her focusing on that one number makes you feel?

2 Likes

I hear ya…. I follow a couple diabetes Facebook groups and the advice on there is so consistently bad I can’t stand it! People are constantly saying things like “calibrate over and over til you get the number you want”. Drives me nuts

3 Likes