G6 from the VA?

So I was diagnosed with T1 while on active duty, and the VA just approved the Dexcom G6 (https://diatribe.org/veterans-can-now-get-dexcoms-g6-cgm-va-pharmacies), I was wondering if anyone had had any success in getting their Endo to get them switched over to the CGM system. I’ve got an appointment coming up and want them to switch me over, make my quality of life better I think.

3 Likes

That’s awesome news, @Stubz42 thanks for sharing!

What are you using now, that you want your endo to switch you over to Dexcom G6? Do you have a Libre or do you use a glucometer?

2 Likes

I am just using a glucometer @Tapestry. I have been dealing with some crazy swings lately, went back to work and the activity level changed, when I was eating changed, messed me up for a bit. To be able to have an alarm if I’m hypo/hyper would be a game changer for me right now.

4 Likes

That’s so true, @Stubz42, it is a game changer!

I’m not sure if anyone here goes through the VA system, for their CGM, to be able to help you with them, but here’s hoping!

1 Like

I don’t know anyone that is going through the VA, but if you need help appealing a decision, our group does have a lot of experience appealing decisions like this to large insurance companies.

2 Likes

The link you included gives good summary of things that indicate need for cgms. Can you bring that article and discuss how you meet that criteria. In general, most endos support Cgms. Its private insurance that usually makes us jump through hoops

One key thing is how predictable your daily routine is. The more hectic, unplanned activity, the more useful dexcom is.

3 Likes

Just an update, my Endo was all for switching over to the G6. Takes about a month for it to get everything done, but I’m super excited in getting switched over to a CGM system.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Glad you don’t have to fight for the good stuff! Makes everything so much easier.

I see a private Endo using Community Care.
The VA didn’t approve CGM/Pump right away because I was only recently diagnosed as T1 (the VA had mis-diagnosed me at T2 for 1.5 years!!! )
Once they got past the first hurdle of ‘time’, the VA gave me a Tandem X2 pump and Dexcom G5.
It has a lot to do with how the Endo rights it up. It can’t be a convenience thing. The kicker for the VA was that I had a very time feeling LOWS when I was exercising or in a lot of pain (back problems.) This is what I got the CGM based on.

And for the last number of years, I only EVER got the first order of Dexcom G5 transmitters, and the same for the G6 when I got it switched over. I NEVER got new transmitters from the VA. They always had to go through DME (Prosthetics in the VA system handles this part of things,) and I never got more transmitters.
For the G5 I just replaced my own batteries.
For the G6, I failed at replacing the batteries, so I have now bought two transmitters online (nice because these are the older transmitters, so the restart easily, etc.)

I will have to see if my Endo can get me a prescription for G6 transmitters now! That would be nice, to say the least.

1 Like

I was T1 off the rip, insulin dependent the rest of my life which is why I got pushed out. That was my first attempt at getting the sensor, the Endo was impressed that I had done the research and brought literature with me to show I qualified for it. They aren’t doing anything about pumps right now due to Covid(too many face to face appointments right off), but its something that she wants to discuss as soon as they are able to start getting them out to patients again.

2 Likes

I know they have to cover themselves, but the Tandem pump doesn’t really require a face to face for training. You can watch videos online and know what to do.
Or have a video chat with them for training.
That being said, I think MDI is a good learning tool, and very good experience to have. You never know when the pump might have issues and you have to do daily injections anyways.

5 Likes