FUD emergency stash and natural catastrophy network?

My to-do list also.

I have a very short to-do list.

2 Likes

Regarding a guide for people to follow when using different insulin regimens in an emergency, have you all seen this:

Rather than putting together a stash for members, would it not be more efficient to just encourage members to create their own personal emergency package? I think there are already some posts or wikis on this topic, and i think it should be fairy easy for most people to pick up a couple of extra vials of R insulin to keep on hand. I really think a lot of people just donā€™t think about these things until itā€™s too late. I definitely didnā€™t, I used to renew my insulin prescription when I went to get a new vial for my pen and found that I had none left!

I think connecting with Stephen Ponder and maybe other areas of the DOC would be a great strategy for helping out in disasters as well!

2 Likes

I read that, and the ā€œ20% reduction in doseā€ for every single type of insulin made me think it was really more of a safety stab-in-the-dark rather than a legit number. Like when you switch from MDI to a pump, they start you on 20% less, but itā€™s just to keep you from being too low when you start.

Anyway, the best way to figure it out is test it before an emergency!

True, but any guide is going to have to be something thatā€™s applicable to the majority of people. The majority of people would want to err on the side of high (especially if access to test strips were limited), and also during an emergency people may be more physically active than usual.

Testing these types of insulin beforehand would be ideal, but I think itā€™s probably a tiny fraction of the T1D population who would be willing and able to do that on their own.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I agree with all your points.

Another factor is if you are in an emergency situation you may not have access to food, so less insulin is better.

Think of realistic scenarios for your area. Not an acopalypse, just smaller scale things that are more likely.

I was evacuated for a couple days for the Waldo Canyon Fire 5 years ago- luckily, I was home and we had some warning and could pack. Then when we had the floods the next year, my way in and out of my neighborhood was sometimes closed and I just couldnā€™t get home for a night or was stuck at home briefly. There is also a blizzard risk which is likely to leave me stuck home without power for a couple days.

I think it might be worth it to have a secondary stash at my office or in my car (insulated) in case I canā€™t get home to my larger stash. I donā€™t have a large stash of insulin yet since Iā€™m pretty new, but Iā€™ll get there. Meter/extra battery/strips/stabber, humalog/lantus (or R/NPH+ instructions)/syringes, carbs would do it for the diabetes supplies.

I canā€™t help but think about the wildfires going on in northern CA at the moment. :frowning: Some of these people didnā€™t have even minutes worth of notice.

1 Like

After getting stuck on the road once, I do not drive more than 30 minutes away without checking the weather.

In my area we have a couple times had bad situations with drivers stuck on the interstate for days. State Troopers going up and down the line on snowmobiles checking for medical emergencies and such.

I grew up driving on ice and in snow. I can drive through anything. Except a traffic jam.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve actually strongly considered storing some of our insulin offsite in a family member or friendā€™s fridge. As it is weā€™ve got it split between two fridges on our property, but that doesnā€™t feel like enough for me anymore. @CarolynAā€™s point about getting locked out of her neighborhood so to speak again reinforces my thoughts on offsite storage (we work from home so work isnā€™t a great option.)

I remind myself that if we had to leave because of fire - the most likely of California circumstances - and we lost it all, it is replaceable. But having a plan makes me feel better. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m my area the most likely scenario is an earthquake. No warning, no knowing where Iā€™ll be, know knowing what the city will be like after. This is why I always have supplies with me. Some people think Iā€™m paranoid, but I donā€™t want to get stranded in a random part of the city for aweek with no supplies (and I take public transit everywhere, so I really could get stranded in the most random locations!)ā€¦ I also keep a small stash at work and my proper earthquake kit and the larger stash (though not huge by any means) of food/water/supplies at home.

3 Likes

I think a network of lockers (could be in a members garage, backyard tool shed or place of business, etc.) that contain a mini fridge and stash of insulin. If we got a bunch of lockers spread around the continent maintained by each of us the disaster supplies would be accessible by those members able to get to the locker and hand deliver to the person in need. If we all share the locations and access instructions of our lockers, other members could step in and access the supplies.

Example: If I put a mini fridge in my tool shed north of Seattle with a stash of insulin, every FUD member sees that location on a master list. If Seattle is 100% shut down in an EQ, that insulin is available to anybody I can hand deliver it to or anybody who can make it to my back yard.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good plan!

What I think would help for things like this in general, is for people to let go of their fixation on expiration dates a little bit. Old insulin works fine!

Itā€™s one thing to stock up a fridge, but maintaining it with expiration dates becomes more of a hassle. Iā€™ve used old, and I still use it frequently.

1 Like

Itā€™s an ā€œemergencyā€ supply so I know Iā€™d be happy using expired in a case like this for Liam. Some insulin action is better than no action!

1 Like

It really depends on what our concept isā€¦ amongst ourselves sure we can swap expired insulin back and forth til the cow comes home. If, like @Michel was describing we have a plan and network to be able to intervene in large scale situations like supplying whole areas with insulin, supplying emergency shelters, etc presumably there would be a little more oversight than we subject ourselves to when itā€™s ā€œjust us girlsā€ so weā€™d probably need in-date insulin

3 Likes

We can start with just a simple concept, like for FUD people.

Anyone in the Southeastern United States, if you ever need emergency insulin, I got it for you.

Now how about if I am in Alaska (Sam)? California (EH and Kim)? Seattle (John, Chris)?

I know we could have some areas covered for FUD people fairly easily. The other thing - providing it to any and all people in an area - would take a bigger financial investment.

But first we can start with the simple easy scope.

3 Likes

Count me in for emergency insulin in Northern VA. Iā€™ll help anyone (within my capabilities) at anytime live.

3 Likes

Iā€™m on board with any stranger who needs insulin opening up the shed and helping themselves. (Iā€™m kind of figuring I would not be home to answer a knock on the door). The only way that stranger could find it is if we refer people to our stashes and others and make them accessible. Iā€™m thinking a disaster with no cell service, no internet etc. probably no electricity so the stash would have a limited life span anyway once the power goes out.

As far as contents, I agree with Sam that expired insulin is not going to be accepted as donation to shelters or relief agencies. Easiest way to start something is with a word of mouth ā€œin case you ever hear of anybody who needs itā€ approach and make some insulin accessible to all even if weā€™re not around.

4 Likes

I love geocaching with the boys so this could be fun. :smiley:

5 Likes

Iā€™m in the suburbs of Chicago ready to help FUDā€™s in need (my stash is still pretty small at this point).

2 Likes

I have a pretty deep stash of novolog penfill cartridges here in San Antonio. If any FUDā€™ers are ever in need, in San Antonio or elsewhere, just drop me a note.

4 Likes