Freestyle Libre will encrypt transmissions and kill 3rd party access

Abbot was probably told to encrypt their sensors because they are cheap and by spending $200 you could have a CGM (Freestyle Libre and Blucon or MiaoMiaoto) instead of having to scan the sensor. Last I heard only the 14 day sensors in the USA are encrypted and explains why the 10 day sensors are no longer being sold.

moda (my insurance company) tried to pull the same scam on me with respect to insulin - Iā€™m also on an HSA eligible plan. The truth is that my previous insulin is not actually ā€œout of networkā€, which would have meant a $12,000 OOP Max, as opposed to $6,000. It was ā€œnon prefferedā€ - i.e. they didnā€™t get as much kick-back. I was suckered, so Iā€™m on Fiasp now.

Double check what you pay and what counts towards your OOPMax. US health insurance is incredibly, unbelievably, complex and most of the time we are being scammed, one way or another; the insurance companies cannot survive unless they do this, so have some heart for them too.

Our future is in our hands.

Effective January, my insurer stated fully covering insulin on all insurance plans (as long as it was Novo Nordisk insulin). I didnā€™t try Humalog, but Iā€™m betting it wasnā€™t freeā€¦

Effective March 1, we merged with a larger company who uses blue cross of Illinois. No more free insulin. I went on the HSA eligible plan to save 3200 per year in premium costs for the same insurance (except for the prescription and office visit coverage). Always an adventure, isnā€™t it?

Youā€™re better off with your plan covering Novo Nordisk insulins. Novolog and Fiasp are much better than Humalog, which takes what feels like an eternity to start working. Sorry about your plan changing right when you think youā€™re going to be ok.

1 Like

Interestingly I was using Humalog for at least a decade or more, then last year, without warning, BCBS of MI put Humalog as a Tier IV, up from a Tier III, making Humalog a much more expensive drug. Novalog stayed a Tier III so thatā€™s what I changed to. I donā€™t notice much difference in itā€™s action, but Iā€™m going to ask for faster acting insulin on my next endo visit. My long acting insulin was Levimir my endo thought was much better than the Lantus that I was taking so I changed. This year BCBS of MI dropped Levimir from its formulation all together so itā€™s now back to Lantus. It turns out the Lantus work much better for me so it was a change for the good. Itā€™s all about the money and I really suspect BCBS of MI is deeply involved in kickbacks. They only allow me to get Libre sensors from one very terrible supplier. My sister, under BCBS of NC, can get them wherever she wants.