Freestyle Libre in the US: 10-day vs 14-day sensor comparison

Thank you, @T1john. :heart:

To the best of my knowledge, users of the U S 14 day sensors can either use the 14 day scanner, or an app that runs only on iPhone 7 and newer. Users of the international 14 day sensors have other options. LibreLinkUp does not currently give an option to create a U.S. based account.

2 Likes

Would something as trivial as an off-shore proxy allow it to work for a US customer?

1 Like

That’s too bad. Thank you for responding.

@Thomas, Is that something that is easier to do than it sounds??

This is a very easy proxy to use:

NOTE: Although also trivial for a company to detect so it is easy for a company to block anybody coming through here. Some companies do block and some companies do not block.

2 Likes

Easy for who?

:grin:

Does this go on my phone? Or I do it from a computer?? Don’t worry, I’m not actually asking for steps. Just trying to have an idea what this is.

1 Like

On a kind of related I read a post from someone in Germany complaining he had to buy a new reader the libre2. It has high low alarms. But who knows when it will get here.

1 Like

Not sure I understand. You’re talking about needing a new reader for the 14 day sensor? If so, yes. But I was able to use some kind of voucher to get the reader for free. It’s losing use of the MiaoMiao that I think is a little upsetting. It cost about $250.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize you couldn’t use that with 14 day. I am using 10 day right know, have 14 day sensors get my free 14 reader February 1st. Did you see my post on 2 14 day sensors from walmart using a goodrx coupon.
What I was saying is there is a new version libre2 that’s been released in Germany and it has to have a new 14day reader to work. Don’t know if the apps. Will work with it like, smite? Thanks that is what it’s called. Anyway new reader has alarms for low/high predictive high/lows.
Don’t know if your still up was dealing with my sick baby, a 170lbs great dane.

3 Likes

No, I didn’t see your post, @T1john. Was it in here??

So the 14 day sensor was new to me… you’re saying there’s actually a newer Libre? I hadn’t heard about it. And with predictive alerts?? :thinking: I was asking for my friend whose 14 year old is really struggling with control. He’s just started on the Libre since he couldn’t get the G6 to work (he’s a stick, and I guess it was one failed sensor after another). Predictive alerts might really help him. Supposedly his endo won’t allow him to use a pump because of his poor control. :confused:

Yes but the jest was I pay 116$ for two 14 day sensors from walmart using a goodrx coupon.

Yes but it has only been released in Germany as far as I know. Will see what I can find.

Here’s a good link.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the info. Does anyone know if using the 10 day sensors with the MiaoMiao in the US will allow for 1 hour warm up times as well as extending to 14 days? I just switched to 14 day sensors, then recently found the MiaoMiao, got really excited and ordered one… A few days later I stumbled upon Facebook comments stating that it can’t be used with the US 14 day sensors… super bummed. Thinking about seeing how many months my pharmacy can stock 10 day sensors… or just thinking of canceling my order with MiaoMiao and waiting until someone has figured out how to make it work with the 14 day sensors… thanks for any insight.

Dan

2 Likes

bump for visibility and answers, since I am unsure of the answers to your question

1 Like

I have both the blucon NightRider and the miao miao, however, I regret buying the miao miao since it doesn’t work with the 14 day sensors. Its probably too late to cancel, however, if you still can, I suggest cancelling. They might figure out how to make it work, but they might not, and with the libre2 around the corner, its probably not worth it. With Abbott freestyle stopping the 3rd party apps, they will soon stop manufacturing 10 day sensors… my local pharmacy told me they are unable to find 10 day sensors anymore, so its just a matter if time.

Dang, mine is still en route, it’s been moving slowly from China for about 2 weeks. My pharmacies still say they can get 10 day sensors and I already ordered some…

I have a feeling the libre 2 will take a long time to get to the US since it took them so long just to get the 14-day sensor here. But if it does come, does it have alarms?

Do you like the blucon?

Another thing is, I may be getting a pump soon, and after that my deductible will be hit, so a Dexcom may actually be affordable.

Thanks for the info,

Dan

I only have the blucon NightRider because I didn’t read about the miao miao until about 2 it 3 months after I was using it, plus the blucon came from San Francisco, and I liked the idea of replaceable batteries, especially because the rechargeable batteries seem to last 1 or 2 years maximum. I bought 100 cr2032 batteries on Amazon for around 20, and after 25 or so, they were only lasting 1 to 3 days, so I thought it was bad. Plus the miao miao Bluetooth software is better, so I figured I’d try it. Turned out the batteries were the issue on the blucon, after switching to Sony batteries, it works for about 14 days… the plastic cover in the blucon also is a bad design, but they send an extra with the unit…just don’t trust the waterproof… the manual and website recommended tape to complete the waterproof rating if 1 meter…

Thanks. I’m going to try the MiaoMiao for awhile at least…Not much I can do about it now that it’s en route. I’ll see how long I can get 10 day sensors for…

Otherwise, maybe a Dexcom is in my future, without my deductible being hit though, it’s around $1500 dollars for the device.

I had the Dexcom 4 because my insurance at the time covered it, which was my first cgm, and loved it. The problem with the 6 is the transmitter only lasts 3 months, and depending on Insurance coverage, they can be costly… i tried to dremel out an old g4 transmitter to change the battery, but was unsuccessful, and I only had 1 at the time… might be worthwhile to keep your old transmitters and try it…some people have success… you can also use xdrip or spike for different algorithms or more customized alarms and lock screens etc

Or there are people who will do it for you, if you don’t have the equipment or skills or patience. At least two Facebook groups offer the service.