Freestyle Libre 10-day sensors - does the Librelink app work with those?

I am just about ready to make the leap to cgm-land and doing my research. I am attempting to keep my options as open and affordable as I can whether I run it through insurance, buy with cash price, or buy internationally (outside of the U.S.).

1. I am aware that the 14-day sensors for the Libre are compatible with the Librelink app and no reader needed. Is that the same for the 10-day sensors that I could buy at Walmart?
  2. If I do get the Librelink app working well using sensors from the U.S. - am I able to buy sensors internationally and have the app still work? I would like to have the option of being in Canada or UK or wherever while traveling and buying sensors as needed. Is that going to crash the app or make it stop working? I am ok doing the conversion or whatever else needed - I just don’t want to lose the data from the sensor, waste a sensor, or be unaware that I had to buy a reader.

Y’all are smart and I learn so much from this group.

Thanks, Beth

2 Likes

Dear Beth,
one thing to consider when buying sensors from abroad is “what happens with faulty sensors? what’s the return policy?” because, once in a while, everyone stumbles upon a faulty one. When bought locally, at least where I live, Abbott promptly sends a new one for free in exchange for the faulty one, all postage paid.
I don’t know about the 10-day sensor’s compatibility, but I can tell you that the Librelink app I use with my Samsung S7 (android version 8.0.0) phone also works with the Freestyle Libre 2 sensors that are available to buy in several Εuropean countries (but sadly, it won’t necessarily support the alarms function that the Libre 2 offers).
The leap is definitely worth the trouble. At the same time, ample research is sorely needed, in order to avoid frustration, since there are varying degrees of “worth”.
As far as Librelink compatibility is concerned, I would advise you to triple-check.

Just in case it helps, here’s my relevant experience:
I live in Greece, where only the 14-day Libre sensor is locally available. After 24 years of finger-pricking (4~10 times a day) I acquired my first 14-day sensor 3 months agfo. Although I never really seemed to mind the constant pricking, within the first 12 hours of use, I felt considerable relief: A previously unconscious anxiety subsided, after being abruptly revealed and acknowledged. The oh! so detailed information about the fluctuation of my blood-sugar level was exactly what I always needed, and didn’t dare to hope for! Or not ?
…Within a couple of days I realized that “o.k., this IS better, but it would be sooo much better if I could have alarms!” So I shopped around and ordered a couple of Libre 2 sensors from the U.K. (best price I could find, at 75 euro/ 85 USD each, incl. delivery). Unfortunately, when those arrived, I found out that MY Librelink app just didn’t support the all-important Alarm function: it only worked with the functions the 14-day already had! Taking into account that the Greek National Healthcare System gives me 100% coverage for the 14-day Libre for free, I had just burned 150 euros for no reason…
I had already invested considerable time & effort researching the web, before even ordering the Libre 2. And I continued researching, with ambiguous results. Finally, I concluded that the Librelink app probably exists in different versions for different countries, and the country where one’s smartphone is registered, is the decisive compatibility factor. I tried in vain to download Librelink (even “Librelink 2” !! according to one website) following links from the Canadian, Australian, Italian & U.K. Abbott websites. Every time, at the final step, the PlayStore would inform me it was “not available for download for any of my devices” - all registered in Greece, of course. It seems I can only download the one version destined for the Greek market (and since Abbott does not offer Libre 2 sensors in the Greek market, I am only given access to a “lighter” version, which is lacking the essential bluetooth compatibility that Libre 2 needs to unfold its “optional alarms” possibilities).
I read far too many web pages in vain, I even had live chats with Abbott representatives from 3 different countries. The U.K. representative, during our live chat specifically assured me that “there is only one version of Librelink and upon initialization of a Libre 2 sensor, your Librelink app will automatically reveal the menu for the BT and alarm functions”. He could be right by what he knows, maybe there’s only one U.K. version…
Of course, I could spend a further 100 euros and buy an Abbott reader, but I resent both the extra cost and having to carry around 24/7 (+ and remember to charge) yet another smartphone-like device.
A Dexcom would probably be very nice (excluding the extra bulk), but at almost double the monthly cost, too expensive for me. So I am currently researching a 3rd-party solution.
Nicholas

1 Like

Have you written off the Dexcom system? Do you use a pump?

Last two years of all sorts of changes… I ended up trying out the Freestyle beginning/mid 2020 of which my insurance did cover. I got the sensors no problem delivered and bought the receiver from Offerup. The Libre ended up being completely unusable due to how horribly inaccurate it was for the entire 14 days. I stopped after a couple months of frustration and went back to finger sticks.

Early 2021 I received an email from one of the T1D groups I follow asking for volunteers for a Stanford study for 90 days using Libre2 or Dexcom (supplies included) of which they require some sensor data, surveys, and following A1C results via mail over a year. Luckily I chose Dexcom to try it after talking to my insurance company to make sure they would cover (more cost compared to Libre) if I decided to continue after the 90 day study. The sensor data was inaccurate yet again but realized the calibration option and since then … good to go. I do have to calibrate at least 3x over the 1st/2nd day of the 10 days. I also discovered restarting sensors and other tech fun and have continued Dexcom ever since with taking semi-regular breaks back to finger sticks between transmitters. I hate the separate sensor and transmitter nonsense. I would say it makes life a bit easier but not necessarily the most amazing thing like a lot of T1s say.

I am still MDI and happy with that as I would never jump to an insulin pump unless I did the full closed loop system but unfortunately I don’t trust sensor data even a little to be that hands off. My A1C has been 5.5 - 6.0 over the last 2 years.

Anyone have a way to extend transmitter life? I hear rumors you can extend up to a couple months more. I do have the received and an Android phone (Samsung) with the regular Dexcom apps.

2 Likes

I don’ t use a pump, and I am not considering to use one in the near future.
I ride a motorcycle almost daily, and the idea of having a pump attached to my body in case of even the slightest accident, stresses me considerably.
As for the Dexcom, on paper it seems better than the Libre - apart from the extra bulk…
But my insurance doesn’t cover it, so for me it is Libre for free versus Dexcom for 230 euro (~$260) / month - no contest !!

1 Like