FreeStyle Libre experiences

i will know in apprx 7 minutes when i do my first scan!!!

1 Like

I find the first 24-48 hours or so can be a bit off (2-3 mmol/L) but it gets more accurate after that.

Fingers crossed it works for you!

1 Like

its working!!! and it was only 1 point difference from my meter!!! OMG! i am so totally psyched.

but i will continue to use my frequency of finger sticks for the first few days to test for accuracy, especially while swimming.

4 Likes

so excited that i decided to test it again. it read 100 with a straight arrow. then i tested with a finger stick, and that said 72 . hummmm.

Yeah, this is what mine was like the first day or two. After that, it got more accurate. It’s also very inaccurate during sharp rises and falls (more of a lag than inaccurate). I was pretty paranoid about this for the first day or two, but then just stopped worrying about it. Now I test once or twice some days to verify highs or lows and some days not at all.

I have been on only around 4 months but I love it. As said above accuracy will improve around 24 hrs. Also take into consideration that the fsl like all cgm’s has a lag, if readings don’t match do anouther fs in 15 minutes to compare readings. When sugars are stable they will match up, really close for me. Also it will read low if b’s is low.

Like @Jen I find the first 24-48 hrs a little iffy on accuracy, but I’m able to minimize that by applying my sensor 24 hrs before I activate it. It usually still shows the check BG symbol with every read for the first 24hrs or so, but as a whole it’s much more accurate.

1 Like

I didn’t know there was a check BG symbol. Does this appear when it thinks it may be inaccurate?

Sort of. It usually will show up if your BG level is rapidly changing (rising or falling), but it’s happened for me at other times, particularly that first day when it just can’t quite get an accurate enough read.

1 Like

thanks to everyone about letting me know about the first 24/48 hours of wonky readings. its been either spot on or quite off. even with upward trend (diagnonal) arrows when the finger stick shows different.

i will just relax and let it settle in. its free from Medicare, so i have nothing to lose and so much to gain :sunny:

hi again. its day #2.5 on the sensor. i have had readings that are spot on, and then really wacky readings that are so off, they must be ignored. (148 with straight up arrow, when finger stick says something like 100)

i called Abbott, and they are sending me a replacement sensor. they told me to change out the one i am currently wearing, but since its only been on for 2 days, i figure i will give it a little more time to adapt. we’ll see what happens. i have my fingers and my toes crossed. i would love for it to work for me.

Wow, I’m sorry to hear it’s so inaccurate! I wonder if you’re one of those people whose body chemistry just does not work with CGM sensors for some reason… I hope a new sensor is more accurate and it works out for you! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

i really hope i’m not. also, how could i explain the tests that are spot on? makes little sense to me.

Sorry your first sensor has been so wacky! Abbott’s been great about replacing them for me - I’ve had two be just really off, and one ripped off my arm after only a day.

1 Like

i spoke with their customer service this morning before my swim. they are sending me a replacement sensor that should arrive in about 2 to 3 days. however, bc i do get some decent accuracy with the one that i am wearing, i am not taking it off quite yet. i want to see if it begins to cooperate.

one funny thing that has happened both yesterday and today, is that while i am walking to the pool, while i am at the pool, and while i am back in the locker room changing, the reader is way off; i am beginning to think it has something personal against the pool :rofl:

btw, what is your lag time with the sensor compared to your meter readings? it seems to be about 15 minutes on mine. does that sound right to you?

I’ve done that with both of my wacky sensors, too!

That does sound right. It’s usually ~10-15 mins for me.

1 Like

You were 100% on the money. a little over 48 hours after FSL insertion and i am on track with in sync reader v. meter readings. only about a 10 point difference at most (so far).

i wouldnt bolus based on its reading, but it certainly gives me a good idea of what my sugars are doing. still, though, there is that 15 minute lag time. oh well.

1 Like

I am so happy to read it’s become more accurate for you! YAY!!

This morning my Libre read 6.1 mmol/L and my meter read 6.9 mmol/L. So they are not perfect, but good enough. I do bolus off mine now, unless I suspect the reading might be inaccurate for some reason, but for the first week or so I wasn’t.

1 Like

do you use the FSL to bolus off of bc it has become more accurate? also, were you on it for a week before it became more accurate or you just were feeling more secure with the readings?

It didn’t become more accurate, I was just feeling more secure.

I sort of view it like different brands of meters. Some breands of meters read higher and some read lower, and it can be hard to use two different meter brands to bolus from. So I decided that I either had to test all the time to bolus or not test at all to bolus. I decided on the latter because the Libre IS approved (at least in Canada) to replace blood testing. But when blood sugar is changing rapidly, or when I think the reading might be off, then I do still test. I’d say I use an average of about 10 strips a week.

3 Likes