Formulary change: your thoughts on bolus and basal insulins?

Re test strips, are you sure the formulary change is etched in stone? My insurer always wants me to switch to a cheaper brand every time I reorder, but as soon as I tell them that I have to use the ContourNext+ because it communicates with my pump, they back off.

4 Likes

i have exactly the same thing with my Medicare; they will only pay for One Touch products: meter, test strips, etc. i stockpile the One touch (but still use the meter from time to time) but buy my Contour strips from Amazon. i don’t use a CGM so i find the Next strips very helpful and cost effective. i know i have to pay OOP, but b/c i test so frequently, i find that it is deff worth the investment.

2 Likes

I do use a CGM and only the Contour Next One will automagically connect to xDrip+, providing one or no click calibration.

My insurance, however, only pays for Freestyle strips, so I just buy my own Contour Next strips. Just got 500 for $105 with free shipping on eBay.

Since I’ve long ago reached my OOP maximum, maybe I’ll take @Eric 's advice and just get the strips from insurance and sell them on eBay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

i’m going to put on a long raincoat with internal pockets stuffed with One Touch test strips and stand on the corner at night and sell them to unsuspecting D tourists for $5 a strip.

2 Likes

PS: through Medicare i get 300 One Touch test strips / month for $0. so i am always filling that prescription. as has been said before on our site, nothing wrong with stockpiling. :wink:

3 Likes