For the parents

Welp, now I’ve cried on 3 separate occasions from reading this thread. Thank you @Eric for putting words to feelings that I am only just starting to come to terms with. Being able to read this dialogue sincerely means a lot to me :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

You know there were opportunities in there for some jokes… I thought about mixing in some lighthearted comments because you know that’s what I do. But I don’t want to ruin it. :heart:

When you’re done with this, I’m going to print it out and take it along with me wherever I go. Not to read it again though… I doubt I’ll ever need to. :relieved:

6 Likes

Just hit reply on my comment and scrolled down for the last word only to realize it’s not here.

Whenever you’re ready… no pressure. :grin:

1 Like

lol. I had similar thoughts…going to print it out and make it into booklet form. File it away in case of total internet loss (zombie apocalypse - d’uh), so that I can pull it out and not only read it for myself whenever I’m beating myself up over a low or two…but also as an amazing story for Liam.

6 Likes

A Quick Note to the Parents

I want to thank everyone for sticking with me on this extremely lengthy post. I know it’s been a lot of words, but I had a lot I wanted to say. :smiley:

Finally finishing this…

First word - Hope
Second word - Passion

My last post is the third word. I think it is extremely powerful, and I Iove it. And although you have seen it a thousand times before, nobody really knows how to say it correctly or what the word truly means.

I never told anybody. I said it to myself sometimes, but only when I was alone. And I never said it above a whisper. It meant a lot to me, and it was special because I knew nobody would ever guess it. And nobody would ever know it until today.

But the third word is not for you parents. It’s for your little ones. I hope one day they will truly feel it and believe in it. I know with your help and support, they will.

This next post I am writing to your young one, not to you.

I know we have a lot of different ages here for the children, so I hope that if they cannot read it themselves, or understand it, you can read it to them or share it in a way that will help them understand what I am trying to say.

• I believe in the indomitable human spirit.

• I believe that our character is not broken by struggle, it is shaped and formed in that crucible.

• I believe that our will is forged by the fires of adversity.

• And with all my heart, I believe in your child’s future and all the wonderful things they will do.

And that is why I want to give the third word to them…

7 Likes

Third Word

Hello my young friend!

There is something I wanted to tell you about today. I wanted to teach you a very special word. It is one of the strongest words I know. And I want to share it with you today, and tell you what it really means.

The funny thing is, nobody really knows how to say the word correctly! And nobody knows what the word really means. Your teachers probably don’t know. Most adults don’t know. Only your parents might know now, because they are very smart.

But I hope that after today, you will know what it means and how to say it. And I hope you will always remember it.

The word is “impossible”.

First of all, how do you say it?!?

Most people think you say it like this - /ɪmˈpɑsəb(ə)l/. They say “impossible”. But that is not right!

The right way to say it is “I am possible”.

It’s easy to remember. Just read the first 2 letters, like this - “I…M…possible”. That makes it easy! “I am possible”.

Next, when you say it, you say the I very loudly.

" I am possible. "

" I am possible. "

Make sure you say the " I " very loudly!

Now that you know the right way to say it, I want to tell you what it means. Because just like they don’t know the right way to say it, most adults don’t know what that word really means!

Most adults will think the word means something can’t be done. They think “impossible” means nobody can do it.

But did you know, if only one person does something, it is no longer impossible, it becomes possible?

So what that word really means, is that you are going to be the one who shows people what can be done. When you get older, there will be things that people don’t think can be done. They will think nobody can do it. And you will say, “I am possible”, and you will show them it can be done.

You will be the one who changes impossible into possible for so many others.

When you get older, when you see the word “impossible”, you will change it into “I am possible”, and you will know that it was you who made it possible for everyone else.

The " I " in " I am possible " is talking about YOU !! :smiley:

So always remember this word - “I am possible”. And know that what it really means is that when you are older, you will be the one who shows everyone else what they are capable of doing. You will be the one who puts the “possible” into “impossible”.

And you will never ever have to wait and wonder and watch if others can do something first. You will be the one to do it.

I am possible” means you will change what can’t be done into what can be done for so many others.

And when you get older and do those wonderful things and show everyone else what they can do, I can’t wait to see it. :smiley:

18 Likes

The story, the message… the creativity and courage and skill and guts… all of the things you had to have to do this and all of the things others will get out of it… Thank you, @Eric. This was a beautiful project, indeed. From your garden of good thoughts, you’re planting seeds. I hope you know how much of a difference you’ve made already. :heart:

And, just so you know, you didn’t specify what kind of parents this was for, so I went ahead and read it to my very small for his age 6 year old (biggest heart in the world), and he answered all your questions and repeated the word the right way. He emphasized I. Thank you for teaching us the right way to say it.

But you should still consider cleaning your wall…

and practicing your aim a little. :grin:

Only kidding. :heart:

8 Likes

lol. I was thinking maybe some of that running time should be spent shooting some hoops! rotfl.

3 Likes

I tried really hard not to make the joke. I really did. So that makes me feel better. :rofl:

3 Likes

The visual of him using the spring-loaded contraption to get the blood, swiping a test strip/bg meter from his belt (or wherever he keeps it) with his other hand, doing the test, then chucking the test strip over his shoulder in reverse layup fashion is a hilarious visual. Blood splashing all over the walls as he runs at 50mph, sweat pouring. Too funny of a visual.

8 Likes

I am throwing those strips WHILE running, people!

11 Likes

I can’t say it any better than @Nickyghaleb, thank you for this post, esp this last post is the sweetest of gifts. Yes, esp dedicated to the little ones, but let’s hope that we old ones put it to practice, too!! It takes a village, as the saying goes… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I just finished your post and what I have to say is I am blown away by your heart. I think it’s the most generous, beautiful, hardworking, determined, tremendous, lovely, awesome and inspiring heart I’ve ever met and not even in real life … only on “paper”… this needs a bigger audience because it speaks to every human dealing with their piece of the pie and you show You are good enough. You are worthy. You are impossible! Big Hug to all of you but mostly your :heart:

12 Likes

Thank you so much!
:blush:

3 Likes

i’m so gratful that i found THIS village. Eric, you embody the truest meaning of what it is to be UNLIMITED!!! thank you for that.

10 Likes

In all the times I have watched you run I have NEVER seen you throw your test strip and make it in the trash :joy:

7 Likes

And remember, he’s running on a giant incline ON a stack of boards!!!

Thanks for sharing your story. It is truly an impressive feat. And I know it will have a wider audience. I’m glad you’ve found things in your life that inspire the three words and that you can share that with others. :slightly_smiling_face: :athletic_shoe:

8 Likes

These are words of an angel. A destroyer of limits. I’m so moved by this account I’m almost dizzy. I will save this forever. My brow hurts. My temple, my eyes. Your belief is beyond words. I picture you on that belt and see you running for all of us. You broke the disease right there and then for all of us. I am honored and challenged that you included Juno’s name in this beautiful image you had in front of you. The challenge is for me to measure up by even a fraction, as a parent, to your courage. I fail a lot. I failed today. But I will try all the more, because you showed the clear way. Now I have no excuses for myself. Everything you said is not only in the very centre, the very core of the meaning: it encompasses it everywhere. It leaves me breathless to imagine what this must have meant to you. 47 years in preparation. But combined with all the life years of all of those who were running with you — the millions we see only in numbers — you stepped out of time. You did something incredible, Eric. I will never forget.

14 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your story, this was awesome and so inspiring.

4 Likes