Flying (as a pilot) with diabetes: possible?

Sure. 20 carbs.

And 2-1/2 units of insulin.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh, I guess I don’t have to worry about their chart.
:wink:

I was thinking the same thing. :rofl:

2 Likes

The real problem with having a special medical clearance and making your living at it, is that they can decide to change the rules at any time and take your livelihood away. I didn’t pursue flying commercially because after all of the years flying helicopters my hearing was borderline, and at the time the most common way to have your medical yanked was to lose enough hearing that they won’t certify you. Career over…don’t pass go, don’t collect $200…

2 Likes

Definitely

I may have heard that if one hits the little button every 2~3 seconds that one’s score on the hearing test comes out higher than one might have otherwise guessed.

1 Like

I helped two different pilots whose disgruntled ex-wives called in an anonymous tip to the FAA safety hotline that their ex’s had unreported sleep apnea…which was before CPAP machines were allowed.

I was amazed at the resourcefulness of those women. It definitely threw a wrench into things for the pilots.

1 Like

Yeah, that might actually work, but man, when locked into a booth with the whooshing sound of the silence in your ears, actually hearing those little beeps and boops is a tough thing to do. Especially when you have a competent examiner. And the Army if nothing else, had competent examiners.