FAA to allow some insulin users to pilot commercial flights

6 Likes

So will you be applying?

2 Likes

Citation 525 Echo Golf cleared for takeoff runway 18.
On departure fly heading 200, reaching 4000 cleared direct Brickyard, climb and maintain 7000.
You have the craft, Captain Allison. Congratulations!

3 Likes

This is a really big deal not just for those pilots but for everyone with diabetes… finally it’s being recognized that we’re as fully capable as anyone else

4 Likes

Comedian: Allison’s flying skills are SO rusty…
Crowd: How rusty ARE they?!?!
Comedian: Allison’s flying skills are SO rusty that there were only film cameras back then!

IMG_8112

[This was after my first solo flight.]

Seriously, I could probably get back up to speed without too much strain bc actual flying coordination, technology, and communications systems have not changed since I left the field. BUT, as unromantic as the reality is, my life demands are not compatible with that career path at the moment. But regional airlines are in great enough need of pilots that it would be almost feasible in a few years.

6 Likes

This is indeed a huge step forward…now if the DOT would just continue to loosen the requirements for insulin dependent truckers…

It wasn’t until this last decade that they would even consider an exemption for insulin dependent truckers, but with all the regulations 1/10th of 1 pct actually got the exemption and was able to keep it for longer than a year. The requirements are looser (a little), but not by much. I personally would not qualify, even though I was an accident free commercial driver for over 500K miles.

I hope the “feds” continue to examine the use of tech available to D-peeps and re-evaluate their position by allowing more of us back in positions that gluco-norms are allowed to hold.

6 Likes

I completly agree!!

2 Likes

This is good news. Really glad they got with the times and the treatments. If you can manage it, you should be able to keep your medical. Hopefully they don’t mandate ridiculously expensive testing like they do for sleep apnea.

2 Likes

@Chris. The last time I checked it was 12 months of bg logs with no bgs below 80 and a small percentage above 160. I am sure it has changed as the last time I checked they didn’t even recognize cgms, and now they do.

1 Like

I just checked again. Now it’s 3 months if bg logs and\or electronic bg monitoring…

1 Like

@elver How can they deny a trucker a credential while taking insulin when they didn’t even ask me once about diabetes when I renewed my dental license?

The hypocrisy (stupidity) is deep.

3 Likes

When I drove, insulin usage was an automatic disqualification with no recourse. If you stopped taking insulin you could try to requalify on the medical

2 Likes

Because all workers in the transportation industry are treated like criminals

5 Likes