First non-domesticated animal (tiger) diagnosed with Covid-19

3 Likes

The good news is that tigers normally practice social distancing.

6 Likes

Just kind of jarring if you own pets that this has crossed over. Who knows where this may go.

2 Likes

True.

Not the first, actually – though maybe the first in America. The article mentions there have been “several” others elsewhere in the world, including a couple of dogs and a cat. Of course many animals may get sick and no one would think to test them for Covid, so who knows what’s circulating out there.

First non-domesticated. Yes, what Chris said.

non-domesticated is the first, not animal.

Edit: According to the AVMA (American Vetrinary Medical Association) there have been the following animals infected:
Dogs in Hong Kong, Cat in Belgium, Cat in Hong Kong, and El Tigre at the New York Zoo.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying the subject line. (Though some may argue that cats are not domesticated. :smirk_cat:)

7 Likes

It’s not Covid-19, but we annually vaccinate our cows for Bovine Coronavirus.

1 Like

That’s what’s so often misunderstood… that Coronavirus is one of the biggest categories of disease… yet we are only now highly concerned about a new and “novel” form of it

Novel literally means new. It’s a bad strain… If it weren’t we would be less worried.

I’ve been thinking the same thing about cats :slight_smile: I keep reading that even though they get it, they’re not a risk of passing it on. I have no idea why scientists say this and I can’t help but think the reason is that they would be perfectly happy to self-isolate if they did get COVID-19, LOL

2 Likes

I’ll have to look for the report but I thought just a few days ago I heard/read this was transmitted via a bat and then via the “wet markets” in China. It could be that I misunderstood what was being said.

Thanks @ClaudnDaye and @Chris for the links.

1 Like

The following isn’t where I originally heard/read what I speak to above as to how covid-19 was transmitted but it can be read in the link @Chris posted above

COVID-19 origin and spread

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) was first detected in China and has now spread to more than 100 locations internationally, including throughout the United States. Helpful information providing a real-time look at case counts globally is available from the John Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

The betacoronavirus that causes COVID-19 is SARS-CoV-2. Like MERS-CoV (the cause of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) and SARS-CoV (the cause of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), SARS-CoV-2 appears to have its origin in bats. Sequenced virus obtained from US patients is similar to that found in China originally, which suggests a single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir. Patients at the initial epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China had a link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. Person-to-person spread within Wuhan was next reported, followed by person-to-person spread outside of Hubei Province and in countries outside of China, including the United States. Community spread is now evident across the United States and internationally.

Edited to add: Well, reading further down the page to COVID-19 in humans the same source says,

… At this time, there is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread to people from the skin or fur of pets.

1 Like

Yes. I know that. That was my whole point.

Uh huh. Got it.

If one of my pups get covid-19 they’ll be getting hydroxychloroqine stat!

2 Likes