Filling pod from pens

So I’ve got my starter kit of omnipod 5. All of my novolog is in pens and I’m reluctant to switch to vials until I’ve at least given it a trial… so I’m wondering what is the best practices to fill the pod from pens?

First thought is to just shoot the pen into the included syringe, but I’m not sure if exposing the insulin to that much air poses and issues? Any recommendations?

2 Likes

I remember Erik had some bottles he bought off of Amazon for insulin storage. I almost always use a syringe to draw insulin from pens. It seems as though insulin could be transferred from pen to bottle…if I had to guess, the big omnipod syringe could be used to draw from the insulin pens too.

Maybe? I’m a pretty big fan of making stuff up as I go along although I generally don’t advise others to do what I do.

2 Likes

I find pens easier for travel. I always use the big Omnipod syringe to withdraw from the pen. My CDE told me to not pump air in like you would with a vial of insulin - just withdraw desired dose. I label the pen as non usable after that and only use for pods from there on out.

I never considered dialing up two doses to equal 80 units and trying to fill a pod that way. Interesting?

1 Like

Thats what I do with pens. Dial up the pen and inject the insulin into the syringe. Sometimes the syringe plunger needs a little help. Occasionally the pen breaks free enough that the suction from a syringe is enough to pull the pen stopper down.

You can always tap/push the air out of the syringe later. Its impossible to get all the air out, so I aggressively tap it all the the end opposite the needle before injecting into the pod. My educator insists the prime gets rid of any air but I’m dogmatic about these things.

2 Likes

I’ve been using pens since 5/22, and simply use the 200 unit syringe included with the pod to extract any unused insulin from the old pod, then extract whatever is needed from the pen… works fine, however i usually will use a different pen if im just bolusing, but im sure its fine either way… the pens are pretty forgiving upon extraction, and it doesn’t seem to matter if you replace air with insulin, unlike a vial…lyummjev 200 doesn’t come in vials, but that’s the easiest way for me to reach 80 hours

2 Likes

So you guys are actually stabbing the syringe needle into the business end of pen? Or pulling the plunger out of the syringe and squirting a pen into back end of syringe?

1 Like

Give it a try, it will make sense after you’ve tried it.

1 Like

This video is exactly what I do. I hope the link worked?

4 Likes

i thought the video was useful, and my diabetes educator showed me these steps also, although i personally feel its easier and quicker to use the syringe and pull the insulin out of the pen (you will also see the back plunger move), as well as saving the unused insulin from the old pod…ill fill to 200 units, sometimes only use 100 or so, but never worry about it because i just carry it over to the next one…her way is better for expiration purposes, but I’ve personally rarely had issues or paid attention to the 60 day throw your pen away recommendations

2 Likes

I do this all the time, both with prefilled pens and with cartridges. Just stick the Omnipod syringe in and suck away. If using a cartridge, I find it helps to push the rubber plunger down with a chopstick or pen (the writing kind), at least for the first withdrawal. After that it moves more easily.

5 Likes

@Sam I use the Dash and have kept using Novolog pens so I have a readily available backup if pods fail or I don’t have enough (it’s never happened but I like the backup concept). I started with using the Omnipod syringe/needle inserting into the pen where a needle normally is attached and “pushing insulin into the syringe from the pen. But now I only use the Omnipod provided syringe to extract insulin from a used pod if a significant amount is “leftover” and inject to a new one (rare these days). I now use a standard screw on needle for the pen (store several in my small emergency kit [needles, current pen, glu tabs, glu meter/test strips, baqsimi, air tag for when I lose it, etc.) and use the pen to inject directly into a new pod. It cuts out the “middleman” and simplifies the whole operation. (Think I learned this her on FUD, certainly not what I was taught!)

If there’s a better way or reason not to do it this way, I’d like to learn…

4 Likes