Feb 22nd. Washington's Birthday and my journey began

I was in Kindergarten, 3 months shy of turning 6. It was Washington’s Bday holiday, Monday Feb 1965, and grandparents were visiting. This ended up being a blessing, as I had 6 siblings at that time, ages 1-10. I was kid #4.

My mom took me to dr, having help from grandparents, to stay with siblings. I was admitted immediately, stayed 10 days. I was in a crib at hospital, and mom and dad were able to alternate being with me during day. Nights I cried. Soon after diagnosis, we moved and I started First grade.

My parents got instructions for
syringes, insulin, and doing injections and urine testing. Was prescribed Lente only, single injection in morning. Used test tape and later test tubes.

This continued through first 2 years of college, with some improvement for urine testing. In college, saw first endo, in city where I started college. Also met other T1s, as I had only knew of older folks with T2. (not sure when the T1/T2 names came out, but nice to be able to stop using juvenile D. )

This week (2024) Washington’s Birthday is clumped in with Presidents Day. But for me, Feb 22 will always be my diaversary AND Washington’s Birthday, and not shared with all the other presidents day, whether monday or other day of the week Feb 22 falls on.

Happy Washington’s Birthday !!

Other interesting things from 1965

13 Likes

Adult Jessica wants to go back in time and give the biggest hugs and just sit with and be there for you @MM2 and everyone who was diagnosed at a young age. It must have been sad and scary to be alone at night at the hospital (and to still remember even now the feelings associated with it). I know that you are strong and this diagnosis made you even stronger, but you went through tough circumstances that were lonely and difficult (not by any fault of your parents or doctors or you or anyone) – I just feel such compassion for you and want to give kid you the biggest hugs. I know this is not the intent of your story, but I’ve been thinking about all of our origin stories and the trauma (yes, trauma) inherent in all of them and want to send love and compassion to all xoxo

12 Likes

It’s sad to think about a young child going through that. :frowning_face:

I can relate to all of what you said. I was in for 10 days and 9 nights. And back then they did not have a room where the parents could stay with you in the hospital at night! It was tough being alone at that age.

Congrats on 59 years! We salute you!

9 Likes

Wow … I know the year I became diagnosed … just entering into K … it was Canada’s Centennial year … and due to parents not keeping records etc …I really have no idea of exact date … just memories of being hungry, trying to not upset Mum with bed wetting (she had her own health issues that year) .

Like you, few weeks alone in an adult hospital in a room full of old folks (in their 40’s or older) with I think Type 2 Diabetes? My Mum could only come to hospital when my Dad finished work as she didn’t drive or like public transportation so I entertained myself and others during the day with the diabetes clinics they ran. I never met another child in the whole time I was there, so I think I had to grow up fast as a 5 year old.

I just know that I managed to climb over the bars on the hospital bed, and go raid the fridge across the room where diabetic meals were prepared. I was a pretty stealthy cat burglar for sourcing out food! The stories we could all share of our diagnosis stories!

So glad that today, most kids go to places where they have their own age group. I mean, it never really bothered me, I just knew that sugarless Jello was my happy snack with no sugar to help keep me quiet while they figured out my insulin regime with NPH.

6 Likes

Wow, I didn’t try that!! I also had bars (crib).
I had IV in arm with fluids, and my arm was strapped to a board to keep me from yanking out needle!!

3 Likes