FDA approves Fiasp

Don’t you guys call it Onterrible?

1 Like

Weird! He sounds like a clone of ours! :wink:

1 Like

@bkh Thanks for the heads up about occlusions.

@katers87 maybe that is why I haven’t heard much yet. I would probably use it that way but may start on shots since I’m on a pump break now.

@Jen ah good news! I’m glad it’s been working for you. Apidra didn’t do much for me, although it’s been awhile since I’ve used it.

@Aaron this is also great to hear! Thank you for your feedback. I’m hopeful it’s covered by my insurance so I can try it. May need to have a chat with them if it’s not covered :wink:

Thank you all for your thoughts!

1 Like

I want to withdraw that comment: I now believe I misremembered which newer insulin may be causing occlusions. I searched it out, and now I think it was Apidra that anecdotally was giving occlusion problems, not Fiasp.

4 Likes

I’ve been using it since Sunday and it’s been (mostly) great so far. My site lasted 3 days and I connected the same tube I filled on Sunday to a new Silhouette site this morning without issue. I have a better understanding of how it works than when I first tried it which I think is helping. I know and expect to extend boluses more often or bolus later to avoid delayed spikes. It’s much easier now that I have my Dexcom set up with a Pebble watch - I just glance at the watch screen now and then and if I see I’m rising I push the easy bolus button. I do find it can be inconsistent sometimes. This morning I spiked to 9 and had to take more for the same breakfast I was eating every morning where I wasn’t going over 7, so not sure why this happened. It could just be my body, not the insulin, it’s not like I expected or had the same results after the same meal with NovoRapid either!

4 Likes

@Scotteric Ha, that is true; the wind blows a different way and our blood sugars fluctuate. Thank you for sharing. I have heard its fast action may diminish over time, but I’d expect it would be more than a few days.

1 Like

It would be hard to say without eating the same meals every day and having more of a rigid schedule than I do! So far it’s still working very fast, but I’ve noticed at certain times my blood sugar will just start climbing and I’m not sure why. It could be dump of liver glycogen that isn’t taken care of as well by using Fiasp as a basal, or it could be an absorption issue. Also I had a site that was bleeding like crazy after working fine for almost 2 days, but I’ve had site problems with NovoRapid too so again I can’t say if this is Fiasp or not.

Interestingly, I just switched to NovoRapid today because I accidentally pulled the plunger too far while filling my pump, so there went 200 units of Fiasp at work, and I had class after work so wasn’t going to be home until 10:00. The pharmacy I went to didn’t have Fiasp, so I got NovoRapid instead, which I’ve never used. I’ve been using Fiasp for the past six months or so, and I definitely notice that NovoRapid is significantly slower. While I can usually see the start of a downward inflection on my CGM within about 15-30 minutes and am often sure I’m on a downward trend within 30 minutes of taking Fiaps, with NovoRapid it took at least 45 minutes before I saw any change, and an hour and a half before I was sure that the change was actually significant.

5 Likes

Jen, is that for a correction or a basal change?

1.5 hours seems like a lot of time for Novorapid (Novolog) to have serious impact.

This is for first a food bolus and then several correction boluses. With NovoRapid, it wasn’t 1.5 hours before I saw any impact, but was 1.5 hours before I saw a straight down arrow and knew I was definitely dropping. This seems to me to fit well with the information that the insulin peaks in about 90 minutes.

The upside is that the low I had overnight tonight was quite gradual compared to the plummeting lows I’ve had lately from Fiasp.

Note that I’ve never used NovoRapid before. So it could be that it’s slower (or maybe that all insulin analogues are slower) for me than they are for most. Maybe that’s why I like Fiasp so much—maybe I’m getting the speed from Fiasp that many get from the standard analogues.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your input! I am definitely going to ask my endo about switching at my next appointment.

1 Like

I’m remembering why I quit this stuff in the first place the more I use it. It’s not working as fast a lot of the time and I’m seeing huge spikes. Worst of all, I can’t do any physical activity whatsoever without a delayed spike that takes forever to bring down. Just going for a walk with my dog shoots me up to 13-14 soon as I get home. This doesn’t happen with NovoRapid.

3 Likes

You’re saying your blood sugar goes UP when you go on a walk, and this did not happen before? How do you correlate this with the use of Fiasp? Thanks, just trying to understand!

1 Like

Hey @allison - I just picked up some Fiasp from my Endo. Will let you know how I like it. Was using combo of NovoLog and Afrezza.

Novolog takes a long time to start working for me, so I’ll be curious to see how quickly Fiasp works.

3 Likes

It happens following any form of exercise, including a walk. It doesn’t happen during it, I might even be low. It starts once the activity ceases (within half an hour or so of sitting down, for example) and continues climbing for the next hour or 2 and takes forever to bring down with insulin. It happens predictably with Fiasp and not with NovoRapid. It could be that I have a bit of a liver dump following any activity that for whatever reason using Fiasp as a pump basal isn’t able to control. Tim from the UK talks about this here and in other posts (he went back to NovoRapid): http://www.diabettech.com/faster-insulin/after-six-months-with-fiasp-things-have-gone-awry/

2 Likes

That is so bizarre, like the opposite of what it is supposed to be doing! How frustrating. Are you going to keep using it? I will be using it with MDI (on a pump break currently) so that may make a difference, too.

This is pretty common for many types of physical activity with almost any type of insulin, for many people. It is not common for it to happen for any sports activity though. @Scotteric, you may want to start a thread in the sports category in this, I think many people can help and contribute ideas. For instance, this is a very standard reaction for us with biking at some intensities and lifting weights. There are standard ways to deal with it and we have learned a lot from others.

I think NovoRapid has a very long tail which protects against this. When I tried Humalog I saw it after exercise too, but only intense exercise, not a simple walk!

Nah, I already switched back to NovoRapid, despite my earlier comments. I’m having the same experience I had the first time I tried Fiasp. The problems all came back quickly and it’s just going to frustrate me if I keep using it. I think you should be fine using it for MDI, the problems are caused by injecting it in 1 site over and over and using it as a basal (at least for me).

1 Like

I wonder if this is one reason why Fiasp hasn’t been approved yet for use in a pump. Maybe some people in the clinical study had similar experiences to yours.