Expired test strips: do they work?

Test them out if you get a chance. We use ketone strips here, so no meter. They get weird if exposed to humidity, but I am guessing they still work fine if expired.

i appreciate your guinea pig tests; usually we leave that up to eric. but these are incredible. i am glad that you included the above mentioned disclaimer regarding different meters. i have found quite different BG readings from different meters consistently. some read “higher,” and some read “lower”. how do you choose which meter to rely upon? my only guess is that when i have my A1c done, which ever meter has proven to give me closer readings would be the more accurate one to use.

i think that the bottom line is when your feel you are crashing, and one “expired” test strip reads 120 and the other “unexpired” reads 50, you know which one to rely upon. :wink: (of course, we all know that you could be crashing at 120, too, if you are crashing from 200 )

1 Like

The lab blood test is a great idea, but until you can do that, go with your Contour Next One as your go-to “decision” meter.

When you get your A1C, test all your meters at that time!

2 Likes

well, of course. they already think i am quite eccentric anyhow, so what would be out of line for me if i pulled 5 meters out of my bag with all my different strips… :wink:

3 Likes

They would think you are crazy like a fox!

1 Like

and then i would ask them for some test strip samples :wink: (and then i would ask them for some insulin samples as well )

(and then i would ask them for one or two new meters )

3 Likes

…and then they would give you whatever you want, just to get you out of their office…
:rofl:

3 Likes

they would do anything to cut short my hoarding

3 Likes

I have compared my expired contour Next strips 2015-05, with my new batch, exp 2019-04-30 over the past week.

Used same drop of blood and 2 different Next USB meters. Also tested on my verio if there was enough blood.

Results are that the expired strips worked great.
10 strips from each batch.
New strips, average 125.4, range 106-158.
Exp. Strips, average 126 3, range 108-159.

7 of 10 were within 5 pts, 3 within 6-9 pts.

Average on competing verio meter was 120.6, and was 145 when Next tested 158, 159 from same drop. Other than that, verio was within 7 points.
But that has been my experience with verio. Most times I think it is accurate, and is in line with dexcom. But sometimes I feel I can’t trust it.

4 Likes

I saw this today:
(thanks @Thomas)

Test Strip Stability
"Stability testing protocols and acceptance criteria for the Contour NEXT EZ test strips were reviewed and found to be acceptable. The manufacturer claims shelf life stability and open-vial stability of 18 months at the recommended storage temperatures of 5-30°C."

I was happy to see the part about open-vial stability. That’s a fairly important thing. Some strips are much more fragile when they are outside.

3 Likes

MM2, if you can give me the individual points, I will enter them in a summary spreadsheet – I am in the process of entering @Jen’s.

@Jen, let me know when you are ready to do the comp, or if you are going to run more – I will capture as well.

1 Like

Any update on expired test strips; do they work?