Exercise really IS good for you!

3 Likes

@CatLady Wasn’t able to read the article.

I’m interested to find out what the exercise regimen they used was. Is it intense, like @Eric’s or @daisymae’s or is it more like my daily mile dog walk?

1 Like

Sorry about that!

Here’s the link I first saw:

I will try to track down the full article in Diabetes Care.

1 Like

This is true for all people diabetic or not. :smiley:

1 Like

A couple of relevant quotes:

“While the exact amount of exercise needed to lower the risk of cardiovascular events is unknown, doing any is better than remaining sedentary,” said Sheri Colberg, a professor emeritus of exercise science at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia.

“As in people without diabetes, intense activity likely is even more cardioprotective than moderate or light activity,” Colberg, who wasn’t involved in the study, said by email. “But since the exercise is this study was self-reported and only collected at the start of the study, it is hard to draw definitive conclusions about how much exercise is needed and how intense it should be to reduce mortality risk.”

I am not a scientist, but I can tell you unequivocally that getting outside and walking the dog is better for you than doing it like this:

5 Likes

Indeed! :smiley_cat:

ETA: Some of us may need a little extra motivation when it comes to exercise. On MDIs, I was always going low or stuffing myself with extra carbs…or both. So I avoided many of the things I used to enjoy in my pre-D days. Using a pump–with its temporary basal functions–has given me a lot more confidence to be active!

5 Likes

@Eric. Are you spying on me again? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Unless you happen to be on there WITH the dog. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

She is the one who wrote that benchmark book on diabetes and exercise.

It is valuable (because it is almost the only one) but somewhat dated.

1 Like

I read an article in Gary Scheiner’s newsletter about a study showing that mini doses of glucagon before exercise worked better than eating carbs or suspending basal for preventing hypoglycemia without rebounding too high. I’m finding exercise such a challenge because it’s interspersed throughout my day and isn’t always predictable with all the other daily variables added in. Set exercise sessions are simple in comparison. I would love to have stable liquid glucagon in a spare pump (or even one of those “bolus only” pumps that are patch pumps that allow for boluses in two-unit increments designed for people with Type 2, if such a thing is on the market) that I could bolus five minutes before an activity to prevent a low!!!

2 Likes

The “Via” by Johnson & Johnson is the patch with 2 unit dosing by push-button. It got FDA approval recently. Still waiting on availability.

1 Like

And the fact that Animas is gone is not a good sign for the Via…

2 Likes

Supposedly J&J will still be maintaining a diabetes line of products, but yes the whole thing is a bit of a mystery. The Via was approved by the FDA a while ago and nobody knows when it will be available. If I can get it, I plan on diluting it so the “2 unit” injection is less than 2. I think it would be cool for exercise.

1 Like

Would you put glucagon in it? I think a “mini dose” of glucagon is still equal to 10-15 units of insulin for an adult.

1 Like

Ponder was talking about before exercise.

But glucagon doesn’t work well during endurance exercise. After a while you get to a point where your liver glycogen is spent. I’ve tried it and it didn’t do anything for me. It might work for things that are not as long, where you are not depleted.

So I was thinking of using it for insulin.

1 Like

Yeah, for me I think this would be perfect. Bus is late and I decide to walk the 20 minutes to the train station myself instead so I’m not late for work? No problem, just bolus 10 units of glucagon and start walking. This is the type of thing that results in lows for me, and it happens 5-10x a day (walking to the train station, deciding to pick up groceries on the way home, running low before I begin a lesson that’s going to be active, all instances where giving some mini doses of glucagon would probably really help to stabilize my blood sugar). They aren’t intense or extended bouts of exercise—when I do something like an hour of swimming that I can plan for two hours in advance, that may still cause a high or a low, but for me at least the variables are held pretty steady and it’s an easy problem to work on in comparison.

2 Likes

Can you share the Ponder article?

I recall some guy with a name like… @Eric was going to put some expired glucagon into an Omnipod for some reason - maybe it was to experiment. :guinea_pig:

I am interested in seeing those results.

1 Like

Here it is… It was that @Eric person. Too bad the thread ends without the experiment done (hint hint)

1 Like

Haven’t forgot, I will do it in December.

3 Likes