Entering Canada

I have a non diabetic wuestion, my wife is teaching in the northwest corner of North Dakota this school year.i am going up for a week in October and on of our planned rccersiond is to go to Canada, so first wuestion, do we need passports to cross over and second, anyone know any nice areas in that region. She’s only 31 miles from border in Williston (I think)

Yes, you need a passport to go between Canada and the US.

John - The short answer to your question is no, US citizens do not require a passport to cross into Canada by car or boat. Canada requires that you carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as photo identification.

If you fly you require a passport, It might be problematic for a US citizen who drives across the border to Canada and then is forced to fly back (for health or personal reasons).

The Canadian border services are far easier to get along with than their American counterparts, and this applies to returning US citizens as well.

Having passports does away with all the worry. A NEXUS card is handy as well.


I found this the same a long time ago. Well before passports were required.


But Canadian citizens do require a passport or similar travel documentation to cross into the USA by car…? I remember when a passport wasn’t required in the '90s and early '00s, but for the past 10 years at least, we’ve always needed a passport even when just driving down. It’s strange that there would be different requirements when coming the other way.

As far as I’m aware the US requires a passport to enter by land, so you need one to return even if Canada doesn’t require it. US citizens are supposed to present a US passport at the border, so even though our country doesn’t require it and the US technically can’t prevent an American citizen from returning home, I would think travel without a passport would be quite the hassle whether by land or air.