Empagliflozin added to automated insulin delivery could eliminate the need for carbohydrate counting

Interesting article for pump users:
Empagliflozin May Allow Patients With Type 1 Diabetes to Forgo Carbohydrate Counting - Endocrinology Advisor](Empagliflozin May Allow Patients With Type 1 Diabetes to Forgo Carbohydrate Counting - Endocrinology Advisor)

BLUF: Empagliflozin added to automated insulin delivery has the potential to eliminate the need for carbohydrate counting and improves glycemic control in conjunction with carbohydrate counting, but does not allow for the elimination of meal announcement

Full scientific paper: https://dom-pubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/dom.14335

Here’s the main figure that tells the story:

2 Likes

I wonder how long they followed them. I was on a different SLGT-2, and I thought it was a miracle drug at first, but my body habituated to it after a month or two almost entirely it seemed. Seems like at least some other T1s have had similar effects.

2 Likes

Looks like only 5 days in a row. So it sounds like longer-term studies are definitely needed.

1 Like

I took one for six weeks (at a low dose, so didn’t notice any miraculous improvement in control) but had to discontinue it due to side effects, unfortunately.

Having said that, I don’t really count carbohydrates these days. I probably would if I had a different pump, but with my current pump the bolus calculator (which is in the app, not on the pump) takes forever to connect. So I can’t be bothered to use it most of the time.

1 Like